Keep Your Friends Close...
|Keep Your Friends Close...|
Tommy Vercetti, Lance Vance, and Ken Rosenberg discussing what to do about the impending visit from Forelli Family Don Sonny Forelli.
|Game||GTA Vice City|
|Target||Kill Lance Vance and Sonny Forelli and stop the latter from stealing your money.|
|Location||Starfish Island, Vice City|
Death of Tommy Vercetti|
Arrest of Tommy Vercetti
Failing to keep the mafia from stealing all the money
Vercetti Gang members carry Uzis
Completion of GTA Vice City storyline
|Unlocked by||Cap the Collector|
As Tommy Vercetti's lordship over Vice City's underworld increases, so does Sonny Forelli's anger that Tommy is taking over Vice City. After failing to forcibly tax Tommy's expanding business ventures, Sonny arrives in Vice City himself to deal with Tommy in person. Forewarned of Sonny's arrival, Tommy sets aside $3 million in counterfeit cash in an attempt to placate him.
However, when Sonny finally arrives, the treacherous Lance Vance openly betrays Tommy, citing "business" as his motivation. At the same time, Tommy is also reeling from the realization that the 15 years he spent in prison on behalf of the Forelli Family was the result of an ambush orchestrated by Sonny himself.
These revelations precipitate an enormous gun battle inside Vercetti Estate. First, Tommy kills Lance on the rooftop of the mansion (although Lance can be killed inside the mansion itself with no penalty), then goes on to kill Sonny at the base of the staircase of the foyer along with all his guards. Tommy is also presumably injured during the gunfight as the end cutscene depicts Rosenberg saying that Tommy ruined his suit. (He says this no matter what Tommy is wearing, even though there are no indicators of injury, like blood). With all his enemies vanquished, and his loose ends tied up, Tommy establishes himself as the undisputed crime kingpin of Vice City, replacing the now deceased Lance Vance with Ken Rosenberg as his right hand man.
The reward for completing this mission is $30,000 and a Hunter will spawn inside the Fort Baxter Air Base at Escobar International or on a helipad in south Ocean Beach if the player has collected all 100 Hidden Packages. Also members of the Vercetti Gang will carry Uzis.
- For some reason, when the audio was first done, Tommy says to put 20 million in the briefcases, not three like the subtitles say.
- After killing Lance Vance on the rooftop of the Vercetti Estate, Tommy can actually leave the mansion. If the player heads over to Prawn Island and Vice Point over towards Prawn Island, the player will find Forelli Family mobsters spawning there, instead of the usual Sharks mobsters.
- It is possible to kill Lance before he reaches the mansion rooftop. However, the player will require a Minigun, Flamethrower, Rocket Launcher, or M60 (in the iOS and Android versions of the game, where the M60 can be automatically aimed) in order to achieve this. The player receives no penalty for doing so.
- Lance is pre-scripted to always appear in front of the player. So if the player tries to run to the area where Lance is firing at the player from, instead of shooting him, Lance will automatically teleport to an area in front of the player and continue firing at him.
- The Forelli Family's Stretches appear in a unique silver paint job, instead of the normal white paint job. Provided that the player does not destroy them during the mission, the player can save one at their garages if they wish to do so.
- The mission is a reference to the film Scarface as it has many parallels including the ending.
- The main difference is that Tony Montana doesn't survive the shootout while Tommy Vercetti does.
- The mission name 'Keep Your Friends Close...' is most likely derived from Michael Corleone's (The Godfather Part II) quote 'My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me - keep your friends close but your enemies closer.'
- A mistake is evident in the subtitles. It features Sonny saying "Tomyy, Tommy, watch your tone."
- The final words of Tommy are similar to the quote "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" from the 1942 film Casablanca.
- This mission is one of two final missions in the GTA series to feature Ken Rosenberg in the ending, with the other being End of the Line from GTA San Andreas.
- After completion of this mission, the white Infernus parked outside the Vercetti Estate possibly becomes acquired by Tommy Vercetti.
- In the iOS and Android versions of GTA Vice City, Keep Your Friends Close... was recapitalized as Keep your friends close....
|PC Version - GTASeriesVideos||iPad 2 Version - GTASeriesVideos|