A nightclub, or club, is, as implied, a club more inclined for use as a place to dance and socialize, as opposed to more sexually oriented strip clubs. While strip clubs are more common in the GTA series, nightclubs are significantly rarer. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto IV, The Ballad of Gay Tony, and Grand Theft Auto V are the only games to feature nightclubs as interactive locales.
GTA Vice City
The Malibu Club in GTA Vice City is the first interactive nightclub in the series. It becomes accessible early in the game, containing a lively interior complete with an active dancefloor, a bar, and an overhead office. The club may even be purchased by Tommy Vercetti after "Shakedown", and its office used as a meeting place to stage a heist. There are also entertainers onstage, parodying the Village People.
GTA San Andreas
In GTA San Andreas, clubs may be used by the player to dance with a girl, in a minigame similar in fashion to the Lowrider Challenge. The interior of clubs also comes complete with video games, and snack and drink machines. There are three clubs in GTA San Andreas:
- The Alhambra in Los Santos. The building is a copy of the real-life Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles (which is mostly a venue for celebrity awards ceremonies, but has hosted rave parties in its Expo Center in the past).
- Gaydar Station, a gay-oriented club that also seemingly welcome straight people, in San Fierro.
- An unnamed club in Las Venturas adorned with neo-new-age murals, found east of The Camel's Toe right across the street from the basketball courts. It may or may not be based on Club 662 in Las Vegas, owned by Death Row Records CEO Suge Knight, and 2Pac's intended destination the night he was shot.
In Grand Theft Auto IV, nightclubs are not accessible and tend to be only named. Maisonette 9 in particular is occasionally mentioned in GTA IV media, while Bahama Mamas has a physical presence but is not accessible due to a temporary closure.
The Ballad of Gay Tony
Nightclubs take centerstage in The Ballad of Gay Tony, with three clubs central to the game's plot:
- Maisonette 9, Gay Tony's straight/celebrity club.
- Hercules, Gay Tony's gay bar.
- Bahama Mamas, a competing club only accessible during "Boulevard Baby" and in multiplayer.
While in Maisonette 9 or Hercules, the player can partake in dancing and taking shots of liquor. Maisonette 9 also allows the player to perform Club Management side activities, as well as engage in champagne drinking contests.
Unlike their predecessors, nightclubs in The Ballad of Gay Tony exclusively open at night, and are thus inaccessible during the day.
Maisonette 9, The Ballad of Gay Tony.
Hercules, The Ballad of Gay Tony.
Bahama Mamas, The Ballad of Gay Tony.
There is only one nightclub in GTA V, Bahama Mamas West. It is inaccessible by the player, but friends can be taken to the club during outings for drinks.