- This article is about the original Xbox console from Microsoft. For it's successor, and current generation console, see Xbox 360.
The Xbox is a game console produced by Microsoft released on November 15, 2001. It directly rivaled Sony's PlayStation 2. The successor to the Xbox is the Xbox 360, which features major improvements over the original Xbox, and rivals Sony's PlayStation 2 successor, the PlayStation 3. Due to the Xbox 360's success, the original Xbox stopped being manufactured in late 2006.
This changed after the release of the Xbox 360, which receives new games on the same date as the PlayStation 3.
Grand Theft Auto games on the Xbox, especially GTA III and GTA Vice City, often featured enhanced graphics, which included higher quality textures, more detailed hands, high definition cars and superior sound quality. However, these games, especially GTA San Andreas, tended to sometimes suffer from slight lag and have longer loading times.
Grand Theft Auto games released on the Xbox
- Grand Theft Auto III (2003/2004, original release 2001)
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2003/2004, original release 2002)
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2005, original release 2004)
- All GTA games for the original Xbox are compatible with the Xbox 360 using a free software emulator via Xbox Live.