The Machete is a relatively powerful and fast melee weapon in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. In GTA Vice City, the machete is considered heavy, disallowing the player the ability to sprint with the weapon. When a pedestrian is struck and not killed with the machete it produces a larger blood trail than the Meat Cleaver. The machete is a generally good all around choice for your melee slot in the absence of the Chainsaw. The Machete is styled not after the usual Brazilian straight-grip, large blade variety used for clearing brush, but the British Gurkha and Indian Gorkha Regiment's Khukri fighting knife, which is a fearsome weapon in and of itself. In the Stories renditions, the HUD icon and the in-game version for the machete looks a lot like a lengthened knife. In Vice City Stories, the machete is a Naga Dao, used by the Naga tribe of Nagaland, north-eastern India.
- GTA Vice City
- Washington Beach, Vice Beach - Spawns on the eastern sidewalk off the Starfish Island bridge leading to Washington Beach.
- Washington Beach, Vice Beach - Available to buy from Bunch of Tools after completion of Treacherous Swine for $100.
- Little Havana, Vice City Mainland - Available to buy from Screw This after completion of Phnom Penh '86 for $100.
- Some strippers at the Pole Position Strip Club are armed with machetes, as well as the woman behind the counter.
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- The Machete in this game is unobtainable outside missions and can only be found in the hands of criminals during the Vigilante side mission. A Yakuza gang member is also seen using this weapon during the mission Cash in Kazuki's Chips but there's no way to keep it because the player switches to a Katana automatically later on in the mission.
- GTA Vice City Stories