Rear quarter view)|
A "S.W.A.T." in GTA San Andreas.
|Appearance(s)||[[Appearance::GTA San Andreas]]|
|Vehicle type||Law enforcement vehicle|
|Body style||Armored APC|
|Capacity||2 (driver and passenger)|
| name = SWAT tank
The SWAT tank (referred to simply as S.W.A.T. when entered) is an armored law enforcement vehicle in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
Designed as a large four-wheeled armored riot control police vehicle for San Andreas, the SWAT is more accurately described as an armored personnel carrier (APC), contrary to its "Tank" name. The SWAT is based on the Cadillac Gage V-100 Commando, which the real-life Los Angeles Police Department sometimes used as an urban assault vehicle during the 1980s and 1990s.
The SWAT features a fully rotatable water cannon that can easily knock down enemies, meaning it can put out fires and is fun to drive, as its shovel-shaped front easily pushes cars harshly with minuscule damage done to the APC. It also has double the health of any other general vehicle in the game due to its heavy armor. The SWAT can accommodate two people, who can enter through the doors on either side; there is also hatch on top of the APC but it is not accessible. The vehicle also features a wailing siren but lacks light bars to complement it.
The SWAT may be used to initiate the Vigilante vehicle mission; however, since Carl Johnson cannot perform a drive-by in the SWAT, it is not recommended to try to do so. This vehicle is not bullet-proof/bomb-proof/fire-proof/explosion-proof, meaning if being shot at by the FBI, SWAT, Army, or Police with heavy weapons, this vehicle may explode quickly, making it a terrible getaway car. However, in the final mission, there is a bullet and fireproof version.
- The SWAT tank is one of the fastest of the law enforcement vehicles, despite its size and weight. The tank can also do 360's and burnouts.
- Boxes of model SWAT tanks can be found in the Zero RC store, labelling the vehicle as the "Swat Van 92".
- As indicated by the existence of the handling line being still in the game files of the PC version of GTA IV, a "SWAT", implied to be the same vehicle as that in GTA San Andreas, was intended to appear in the game. An equivalent was finally made available in The Ballad Of Gay Tony, in which a NOOSE APC with an operable cannon fitted with explosive rounds is introduced.
- The SWAT is considerably rare, appearing only twice during the last mission, one of which can only be stored in a garage:
- The first one is required to be stolen by the player to ram into Big Smoke's crack house (bullet and fireproof), but may be stored in any available garage space after. Due to a glitch during the mission, however, it is impossible to save the SWAT as it will always disappear after the mission. The only way to save it will be to fail the mission and then play it again. This glitch also affects other law enforcements vehicles. The easiest way to fail and keep the tank is simply to park the tank in your garage, and then blow it up. Once the tank is destroyed, allowing the garage door to close and then reopen on the tank will restore it to perfect condition.
- The second one is seen inside the Crack Palace, it is also unlocked and drivable, but cannot be saved into a garage as the vehicle is stranded within the interior.
- Outside the mission, the SWAT can otherwise be spawned or made available using cheating devices and mods in both the console versions and the PC version.
- Grand Theft Auto PC: Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\handling.dat>SWAT