Events concerning the Grand Theft Auto series in 2001
- On September 11, terrorists hijacked two commercial jetliners and crashed it into the World Trade Center, killing scores of people. This event triggers the War on Terrorism and also affected games, including, but not limited to, Grand Theft Auto III for which its release date were delayed for at least a while, as evident in changes on police car between original screenshots and the release version from New York City Police Department blue-and-white color scheme to more common black-and-white color scheme.
- Grand Theft Auto III is released for the PlayStation 2 on October 22, having a signifigant impact on future gaming and stirring up controversy.
- The Xbox is released in North America on November 15.
GTA III Era
- The events of GTA III takes place.
GTA IV Era
- Rudy D'Avanzo is arrested for hijacking and arson.
- Willy Valerio is arrested for possession of crack cocaine.
- Ashley Butler is arrested for possession of cocaine.
- Steven Jabowitz is arrested for fraud.
- Johnny Barbosa is arrested for grand larceny.
- Heathcliff Waterstreet is arrested for possession of methamphetamine.
- Cherise McCormic is arrested for possession of cocaine.