State of Alderney
Grand Theft Auto IV|
The Lost and Damned
The Ballad of Gay Tony
|Name:||State of Alderney|
|Motto:||Industrial wasteland meets suburban hell.|
Alderney is an American state located to the west of Liberty City in the GTA IV Era. For the purposes of the game, the island featuring Alderney is considered part of the Liberty City metropolitan area.
It is not clear whether the entire state or only part of it is seen in Grand Theft Auto IV and its two downloadable content packs. In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, the state was removed from the map, leaving only Liberty City open to the player.
In GTA IV, access to Alderney is only permitted following completion of the mission Three Leaf Clover. Prior to this, it's possible to swim to or fly to Alderney, but at the cost of a 6-star wanted level. This can be useful to obtain the One Man Army achievement.
Cities and industrial areas
- Westdyke (Weehawken)
- Leftwood (Englewood)
- Alderney City (Jersey City, Newark and Fort Lee)
- Berchem (Hoboken, North Bergen)
- Acter (Kearny)
- Normandy (Bayonne)
- Tudor (Elizabeth)
- Port Tudor (Port Newark-Elizabeth Marine Terminal)
- Acter Industrial Park (Industrial District of South Kearny)
Elizabeth of York and Queen Elizabeth I were members of the Tudor dynasty, hence 'Tudor' county substituting for New Jersey's Elizabeth county.
Berchem is the name of a district in Antwerp, Belgium; to its west is the Hoboken district, one of the disputed origins of the name of Hoboken, New Jersey.
- The State is based on North New Jersey. In the game, it is claimed to be named after the explorer Phillip D' Alderney, who was the only person who could live there, despite the horrible smell and ugly people.
- It's stated in 'The Episodes from Liberty City' instruction manual that Alderney is a dreary suburbia with Industrial wastelands and strip malls. In reality, however, the state also includes a well-developed urban downtown area and several affluent-looking communities.
Much like its real-world equivalent, Alderney is often the subject of undue criticism or mocking.
- A site on the in-game internet states that "not even a terrorist would want to live in Alderney". However, there are extremely wealthy areas such as Westdyke.
- Alderney is frequently derided by Libertonian citizens and news media like Weazel News throughout the game, parodying the antagonism between New York and New Jersey.
- DJ Mister Cee of The Beat 102.7 once referred to Alderney as "Al-Dirty", a play on the New Jersey nickname "Dirty Jerz".
- Jimmy Pegorino mentions to Niko Bellic that The Commission think's of Pegorino's crew as "just a bunch of Guernsey goombas" implying that Guernsey City has crossed over from Grand Theft Auto 1 to the Grand Theft Auto IV Era (much like Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas). Since New Guernsey was the New Jersey state parody (which is now replaced by Alderney), it may be a city within the unseen parts of Alderney State seeing as only one island in the state is present in Grand Theft Auto IV and it's Episodes.
Although Alderney's police officers wear a different uniform from those in the LCPD, they still are the same City Police Department.
In the beta map for GTA IV, Alderney appeared to have a piece of land extending to the north which was removed during development.
Alderney has a wide range of characters and atmospheres which include:
- Green space/forestland (North Westdyke)
- Commercial (Leftwood), (Berchem), and (Alderney City, Koreatown)
- Central Business District (Alderney City, Downtown)
- Upper-class residential (Westdyke) and (Berchem)
- Middle-class residential (Leftwood) and (Tudor)
- Lower-class residential (Central Acter)
- Housing Projects (West Tudor)
- Docklands (East Tudor), (Port Tudor), (Alderney City, Riverside) and (Normandy)
- Central Industrial District (Acter Industrial Park)
- Semi-Industrial (Tudor)
- Facility (Alderney State Correctional Facility)
Crime and corruption are no less common in Alderney than in Liberty City. The Pegorino Family and the Korean Mob conduct organized crime from Alderney, and Mafia families from Liberty City, such as the Ancelottis and Pavanos, also run operations there. Alderney chapters of The Lost Brotherhood, Angels of Death, and M.O.B. also conduct criminal activity in Alderney.
Gangs of Alderney
- Ancelotti Family
- Midtown Gangsters
- The Lost MC
- Angels of Death MC
- African Americans
- Pavano Family
- Pegorino Family
- Spanish Lords
Food & Drink
Alderney's dining services mostly come from fast food chains, such as the Pizza This and Burger Shot in Leftwood and Westdyke. Cluckin' Bell and Wigwam Burger are also seen around Berchem. Hot dog and peanut vendors are spread throughout Alderney City. Alderney also has traditional restaurants such as Mr. Fuk's Rice Box, a Korean restaurant located in Alderney City.
Alderney's outer reaches are serviced by the Plumbers Skyway, an elevated highway. The state is connected to Liberty City by the Booth Tunnel and Hickey Bridge, both of which cross the West River. A ferry terminal is under construction in Castle Garden City, Algonquin, which would supposedly connect it with the completed Alderney terminal, but the terminal is abandoned, and construction is only in progress on the Algonquin end.
Many residential garages in Alderney open when approached with a car, however the door will not close and cars cannot be saved.
- Hickey Bridge, connects Alderney City, Alderney, to Varsity Heights and North Holland, Algonquin, Liberty City.
- Tudor Bridge, connects Acter Industrial Park, to Tudor, Alderney.
Much like other streets, Alderney streets are named after famous objects or people. Northern Alderney streets are named after mountain ranges, Owl Creek Ave, Beaverhead Drive, Big Horn Drive. Central Alderney streets are named after inventors, Babbage Drive, Farnsworth Road, Edison Ave, and cult leaders, Koresh Sq, Applewhite St, Hubbard Ave, and in Southern Alderney streets are after American nuclear tests, Plumbbob Ave, Niblick St and Tinderbox St.
- As an independent state, Alderney does not have a subway. However, around the state, many remains of a train track can be found. It's possible that Alderney did have a subway or other rail service at one point, or these are unfinished connections to Liberty City's system.
- Although seemingly not as plentiful as in Liberty City, taxi service is available within Alderney and to destinations in Liberty City. Roman's taxi service also works in Alderney.
Public services in Alderney
- Leftwood Police Dept. (Franklin St. & Bridger St. - Leftwood, Alderney)
- Acter Police Precinct (Vitullo Ave & Lee Rd. - Acter, Alderney)
- Acter Industrial Park Police Department (Grommet St. & Toggle Ave - Acter Industrial Park, Alderney)
- North Tudor Medical Center (169 Babbage Drive - Tudor, Alderney)
- Westdyke Memorial Hospital (Long John Ave. - Leftwood, Alderney)
- Berchem Fire Department (Vitullo Ave. - Berchem, Alderney)
- Tudor Fire Department (Hardtack Ave. - Tudor, Alderney)
Places of interest in Alderney
- International Online Unlimited (Rand Ave and Applewhite St, Alderney City)
- Kakagawa Building (Myung and Bedrock St, Alderney City)
- National Newark Building (Boyden Ave and Koresh Sq, Alderney City)
- RON Building (Asahara Rd and Jonestown Ave, Alderney City)
- Schlongberg Sachs (Koresh Sq, Alderney City)
- Alderney Ferry Terminal (Asahara Rd and Booth Tunnel entrance, Alderney City)
- Alderney Casino (Beaverhead Ave, Westdyke)
- Sprunk Factory (Argus St, Tudor)
- Alderney State Correctional Facility (Grenadier St, Muskteer Ave, Acter Industrial Park/Alderney State Correctional Facility)
- Tudor Bridge (Plumbbob Ave, Red Wing Ave, Acter Industrial Park)
- Giovanni Ancelotti
- Gracie Ancelotti
- Johnny Barbosa
- Phil Bell
- Niko Bellic
- Ashley Butler
- Anthony Corrado
- Joseph DiLeo
- Jim Fitzgerald
- Frankie Gallo
- Billy Grey
- Brian Jeremy
- Johnny Klebitz
- Angus Martin
- Charles Martin
- Charles Matteo
- Jason Michaels
- Jimmy Pegorino
- Angie Pegorino
- Leila Sharpe
- Luca Silvestri
- Terry Thorpe
Businesses in Alderney
- Auto Eroticar (Keneckie Ave & Lockowski Ave. - Alderney City, Alderney)
- Big Paulie's Used Cars (Emery St. & Anvil Ave. - Tudor, Alderney)
- Burger Shot (Owl Creek Ave. and Sacramento Ave. - Westdyke, Alderney)
- Honkers (Tinderbox Ave. & Argus St. - Tudor, Alderney)
- Mr. Fuk's Rice Box (Hubbard Ave. - Alderney City, Alderney)
- Pay 'n' Spray (Roebuck Rd. & Hardtack Ave. - Port Tudor, Alderney / Panhandle Rd. - Leftwood, Alderney)
- Pizza This (Bridger St. & Tenmile St. - Leftwood, Alderney)
- Tw@ Internet Café (Vitullo Ave. & Kemeny St. - Berchem, Alderney)
- Westdyke Autos (Lemhi St. & Sacramento Ave. - Westdyke, Alderney)