|Games:||GTA San Andreas|
|Locations:||East Los Santos|
|Type:||Afro-American Street Gang|
|Enemies:||Grove Street Families|
Varrios Los Aztecas
|Affiliations:||Los Santos Vagos|
San Fierro Rifa
|Fronts:||Big Smoke's Crack Palace|
Idlewood Crack House
B Dup's home in Glen Park
Little Weasel (Deceased)
The Ballas are the Grove Street Families primary enemy and most influential gang in Los Santos, having been around since the 1970s. In the beginning of the game they are the most powerful street gang in Los Santos. They are involved in drug dealing, gang banging, prostitution, arms dealing, vandalism, degeneracy, but mainly, the crack cocaine trade.
The Ballas are rivals with Grove Street Families and the Varrios Los Aztecas, and have ties with the Los Santos Vagos, the San Fierro Rifa, and the Loco Syndicate for narcotics, and the Russian Mafia for weapons. The Ballas also collaborate with CRASH. In addition, Big Smoke defects against the GSF to lead the Ballas with his lieutenant Ryder. Unlike the GSF, the Ballas have no reservations about making money by selling drugs; the spread of crack cocaine into the Grove Street community is part of their strategy to wipe the GSF out.
The Ballas briefly control the streets of Los Santos alongside the Vagos after Grove Street leader Sean "Sweet" Johnson is gunned down and arrested. They control the influence of the Families by using crack cocaine to turn GSF members into hopeless addicts totally dependent on them. However, following the release of Sweet from prison and the return of Carl Johnson, the Grove Street Families dominate the Ballas. The Ballas' Crack Palace is heavily demolished by Officer Frank Tenpenny, resulting in significantly reduced influence by the Ballas in Los Santos. The Ballas are seen with purple bandanas, black skullcaps, knee high socks and flip-flop sandals, khaki pants and dark blue chore coats.
There are four known sets of Ballas:
- The Front Yard Ballas
- The Rollin' Heights Ballas
- The Kilo Tray Ballas
- The Temple Drive Ballas
All Ballas are recognizable by their mainly purple attire, which is the identifying color for the gang.
Although they are seen with Voodoos in some missions, the Ballas only have two Gang Cars, the Tahoma and the Majestic. The Tahoma is a lowrider and sometimes appears with Hydraulics. On one very important occasion the Ballas use a green Sabre to try and murder Sweet, however instead they end up killing his mother Beverly Johnson. The Ballas' default radio station is Bounce FM.
- It is revealed by Sweet in the mission Big Smoke that the Temple Drive set was actually part of GSF, however during Carl's absence, they became a set in the Ballas.
- This may be a play on ball less since they are pronounced the same way. However, the name may also be a reference to the word "baller", which is a gangster who has become a much more organized criminal, which can definitely be applied to the Ballas.
- Ballas means "Bullets" in Portuguese and Spanish.
- When involved in road accidents ballas memebers can ocasianly be heard triggering some quite funny diologe the diologe is as folows *this aint even my car man *you hit the dammm carrrr *hey this is my mommas car man *you broke it you fix it *awww mannnn they can also be heard saying other things but these ones are the most common the other diologe is rare.