Considering Grand Theft Auto games are set in large, bustling urban environments with transport infrastructure, it often seems strange that the Bus is one of the series' rarest vehicles. The Bus rarely spawns on the street and is usually very difficult to find by other means too. In GTA III and GTA Vice City, the Bus has a typical "school bus" design, and comes in several colours. The handling is slow and cumbersome, as one would expect, and the vehicle - though fairly tough - doesn't quite excel at knocking other vehicles out of the way either, not like the Firetruck or Barracks OL. It also is quicker to catch fire when attacked by armed enemies. Finally, despite its large size it can only carry a driver and one passenger. All of these factors combine to make the Bus a vehicle you only drive for the novelty of it or to deliver it to an export garage.
In GTA IV, the Bus is again, a rare sight in the city, with a newer model resembling a Orion V CNG (but the windshield is angled evenly) but the side windows (and the way the back is angled) look more like the ones from an old GM New Look Bus (or a Flxible New Look bus) but more modern. Strangely, it is virtually impossible to find the Bus driving around anywhere in Liberty City - it can only be seen driving in Francis International Airport or on the ring-road that surrounds the airport's car park. The Bus can also be seen driving around elsewhere in the City although these occurances are very rare. The Bus will sometimes spawn in during GTA IV's mission chase sequences, as set pieces, acting as an obstacle, to increase the difficulty of the mission. An example of this is in Brucie's Mission: Search and Delete. Any other time the Bus is encountered - e.g. at Star Junction - it will simply be parked. The GTA IV Bus allows up to 15 passengers to travel in the vehicle in addition to the driver (this is only possible during Multiplayer). In all other games of the series, the Bus could carry two people, including the driver.
The GTA IV Bus is frail by comparison with most other large vehicles when it is in a hail of bullets.
- Liberty City
- Vice City
- San Andreas
Anywhere City (GTA2)
- Downtown District
- Industrial District
- Residential District
GTA III and LCS:
- Chinatown, Portland Island
- Aspatria, Staunton Island
- The Bus also appears during the Firefighter side mission in GTA III on Portland Island
- Star Junction, Algonquin
- Along the Bus Lane adjacent to the Helitours tour company in Fishmarket South, Algonquin.
- A number of buses are parked at the Broker Bus Depot in Downtown Broker under the Algonquin-Dukes Expressway.
- Can occasionally be seen driving along the unnamed ring road at Francis International Airport in Dukes.
- Can often be seen driving around the Francis International Airport complex, just south of the Runways.
- Ocean Docks, Los Santos
- Grand Theft Auto 1 (first appearance)
- Grand Theft Auto 2
- Grand Theft Auto III
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
- Grand Theft Auto IV