"18-in, 40cc gas chain saw. Automatic chain tensioning, chain brake cuts through bone. Includes case and extra chain."
-Vice City Bureau of Investigation description.
The Chainsaw is a portable mechanized saw commonly used as a tool for cutting down trees. Due to its intimidating noise and potential for mutilation, it is frequently employed as a weapon in pop culture, including in horror movies such as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, violent crime films such as Scarface, and videogames such as Doom, Gear of War, and the Resident Evil game series.
In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars the player can acquire a chainsaw to use as a weapon. Standing still while pressing the attack button will allow the player to swipe with the chainsaw; pressing the attack button while moving does not allow swiping, but makes the player hold out the chainsaw and allows the player full mobility. Wielding the chainsaw will slow down the player and not allow them to sprint in some of the games.
Revving a chainsaw in public will cause pedestrians to panic, and, if a police officer is nearby the player will gain a one-star Wanted level, regardless of whether the player harms anyone in the process, with the exception of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
The chainsaw can easily remove parts such as hoods, bumpers and even doors from vehicles, however its blows glance off vehicles' main chassis, thus causing only superficial damage. Strangely, chainsaws cannot saw off locked car doors.
- GTA Vice City
- Ocean Beach, Vice Beach - In the bathroom of Apartment 3C.
- Little Havana, Vice City Mainland - Available to buy from Screw This after completion of Phnom Penh '86 for $500.
- Spawns at the Ocean View Hotel, the Vercetti Estate and the Hyman Condo after collecting 20 hidden packages.
- GTA San Andreas
- Ocean Docks, Los Santos
- The Panopticon, Red County
- Red County - In a farm between Blueberry and Montgomery.
- Flint County - At Helena Wankstein's storage shack, available after meeting her.
- Avispa Country Club, San Fierro - It the tennis courts.
- Doherty, San Fierro - In the construction site next to Carl Johnson's garage, on top of a collapsed building.
- Hunter Quarry, Bone County
- Redsands West, Las Venturas - Near the safe house.
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Can be found behind the sawmill near The Atlantic Quays.
- In a small garage east of the police station at Pike Creek.
- GTA Vice City Stories
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City drops of blood can be seen spattered at the screen when the player successfully attacks a target (only if "Trails" are turned on in the display settings; the same goes for water droplets on the screen).
- In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas the player cannot jump up or over obstacles with the chainsaw equipped. As such, it is unsuitable for attacking fleeing targets.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, pressing "square" while holding the chainsaw will make Victor Vance swing it; the animation resembles that of the Katana, and the chainsaw makes the same sound upon striking an opponent.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars you can hijack cars in front of police by using the chainsaw on the car. When the passengers walk out, take the car without any worry of alerting the police, but be careful of accidentally killing the escaping passengers.
Last modified on 27 August 2012, at 03:17