From Grand Theft Wiki
Cities of Grand Theft Auto Universe
GTA games are replete with fictional cities, many of which are based on real-life locations:
- London is a rendition of the real city in (GTA London 1969 and GTA London 1961)
- Manchester is a UK city in GTA London 1961
- Vice City is a counterpart to Miami (GTA 1 and GTA III Era).
- Cottonmouth in Manhunt 2 is likely based on Tampa, Florida and have various references to other GTA Cities.
- San Andreas
- Los Santos
- New Hampshire'
- Anywhere City in GTA 2 is not based on any specific city.
- Capital City is a city mentioned in the miles traveled stats of GTA IV. It is possibly based on Washington, D.C. (United States Capital) or Albany, NY (New York's Capital).
- Carcer City is most likely Detroit, and is said to be neighboring Liberty City. Whilst not featured in any game, it is mentioned in GTA III, GTA San Andreas, and GTA Liberty City Stories; and is the setting for Manhunt.