From Grand Theft Wiki
Revision as of 21:24, 12 July 2011 by Nodnarb24
Cities of Grand Theft Auto
GTA games are replete with fictional cities, many of which are based on real-life locations:
- Liberty City is based on New York City in the GTA 1 Era, GTA III Era and GTA IV Era. Liberty City is the most used city so far, but each are slightly rendered in each game and Era.
- Alderney is technically a separate state to Liberty City in the GTA IV Era, containing Alderney City (Jersey City and Newark).
- San Andreas in GTA 1 is based on San Francisco. San Andreas in GTA San Andreas is an entire state comprised of three major cities: Los Santos (Los Angeles), San Fierro (San Francisco) and Las Venturas (Las Vegas).
- Capital City is a city mentioned in the miles traveled stats of GTA IV. It is possibly based on Washington, D.C. (United States Capital) or Albany, NY (New York's Capital).
Cities of other series
Other major cities despite not being in the GTA universe, these are mentioned in the series:
- Carcer City is most likely Detroit, and is said to be neighboring Liberty City. Whilst not featured in any game, it is mentioned in GTA III, GTA San Andreas, and GTA Liberty City Stories; and is the setting for Manhunt.
- Cottonmouth in Manhunt 2 is likely based on Tampa, Florida and have various references to other GTA Cities.
- Bullworth is the setting for Bully. It is located somewhere in New England and has various references to the GTA series.