GTA III |
GTA San Andreas
Home in Red Light District, Portland, Liberty City
Home in Belleville Park, Staunton Island, Liberty City
Home in Wichita Gardens, Shoreside Vale, Liberty City
|Family||GTA Online's protagonist (Possible)|
Catalina (1992 - 2001)|
Miguel (until 2001)
Luigi Goterelli (2001)
Joey Leone (2001)
Toni Cipriani (2001)
Salvatore Leone (2001)
Leone Family (2001)
Maria Latore (2001 onwards)
Marty Chonks (2001)
El Burro (2001)
Asuka Kasen (2001)
Kenji Kasen (2001)
Ray Machowski (2001)
Phil Cassidy (2001)
King Courtney (2001)
Donald Love (2001)
Black ZR-350 (lost to Carl Johnson in a race)
|Businesses||Doherty Garage (former)|
Illegal street racer|
|Voiced by||None Applicable|
- For other characters called Claude, please click here.
Claude is a character in the 3D Universe who appears as the protagonist of Grand Theft Auto III and as a minor character in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. There is no voice actor for Claude, as he does not speak in either of his appearances. Rockstar Games have never revealed whether Claude from the GTA III Era is the same as Claude Speed, the protagonist of Grand Theft Auto 2 - just answering "probably".
Life until 2001
Very little is known about Claude's background - he is mute, and possibly suffers from it as a speech disorder. Assuming he is at least 16 when he races in GTA San Andreas, he was born 1976 or earlier. In 1992, Claude had emerged as a top contender in an illegal racing ring (run by Wu Zi Mu) and owned an abandoned garage in Doherty, San Fierro. He became involved with Catalina, who had recently split up with Carl "CJ" Johnson, before racing CJ in a losing effort. Following the loss, he hands over the pink slip to his black ZR-350 to CJ. When the two end up racing a second time, Claude loses again, and he hands over the deed his garage to Johnson before leaving San Andreas with Catalina. The two head to Liberty City, where Catalina allies herself with the Colombian Cartel. Afterwards, they depart to engage in a series of robberies across the USA, most of their time was spent around Texas and New Mexico. In October 2001, Claude and Catalina return to Liberty City.
Claude and Catalina arrive in Liberty City in October 2001 and immediately robbed a bank. Catalina, however, turns on her boyfriend, shooting him and leaving him for dead, explaining that he is 'small time'. Claude is later arrested by the Liberty City Police Department. He is convicted of all charges and is sentenced to ten years in prison. While being transferred to Liberty State Penitentiary in Portland, Claude escapes from a police convoy after the Colombian Cartel attack the convoy to free the Old Oriental Gentleman. Claude and 8-Ball escape to a safehouse in the Red Light District, before moving on to Sex Club Seven. Luigi Goterelli, the owner, gives Claude his first job in the city, to drive Misty from the hospital back to the club.
Claude, successful in his errand, continues to be employed by Goterelli, who also has him kill a drug dealer and two pimps, before having him drive Misty to Joey Leone's garage. Claude then begins to work for Joey, killing both Mike Forelli and Lee Chong, before chauffering Toni Cipriani, later working for him against the Triads. Claude, impressing the Leone Family hierarchy, is introduced to the Don, Salvatore Leone. Salvatore, 'seeing nothing but bright things' for Claude, has him look after his wife Maria for an evening, kill Curly Bob (who was selling secrets to the Colombian Cartel, now led by Catalina) and later destroy a freighter used as a factory for the drug SPANK. During this time, Claude also works for El Burro, the leader of the Diablos, helping him on various tasks, and Marty Chonks in his attempts to get out of his various problems.
After destroying the Cartel freighter, a paranoid Salvatore attempts to kill Claude by having him enter a bomb-laden car. Salvatore's wife Maria, however, phones Claude and directs him to a small pier where the two meet Asuka Kasen, co-leader of the Yakuza, and flee to Staunton Island after Maria had told her husband that she was dating Claude. Asuka, unconvinced of Claude's loyalty, has him kill Salvatore Leone to prove himself, before having him kill a number of other people causing her problems. She later introduces him to her brother Kenji and Ray Machowski, a corrupt police man working for the Yakuza. Claude helps Kenji with his problems, including settling debts and freeing a man from prison, and helps Machowski in his attempts to remain unnoticed, eventually helping him flee the city by the airport.
Claude continues to look for work and finds employment with King Courtney, who has him attack the Diablos before attempting to kill him on orders from Catalina, and Donald Love, who has him kill Kenji Kasen disguised as a Colombian Cartel gangster, to provoke a war. Asuka, unaware of Claude's role in her brother's death, launches an assault on a Cartel-controlled building site and begins to torture Miguel, Catalina's right hand man, into giving away Cartel secrets. Armed with the information, Asuka sends Claude on various missions to hurt Cartel operations, including stopping the selling of and stealing a shipment of SPANK.
During this period, Claude briefly finds employment with D-Ice, leader of the Red Jacks sub-sect of the Southside Hoods, and attacks the rival Purple Nines into defeat. After this, Claude returns to the building site and finds both Asuka and Miguel dead, while a ransom note for Maria is left for him. Claude goes to the Cartel mansion, escapes an ambush, destroys a helicopter piloted by Catalina (killing her) and rescues Maria. As he and Maria walk offscreen, a shot is fired, and the fate of the two is left ambiguous.
Claude is a laid-back man that appears almost emotionless regardless of the situation. Provided he is paid for his services, he will take orders from his bosses without restraint or question, and usually gives a nod or two to show that he understands; even when he is getting scolded or shouted at by his bosses for doing something wrong or when things don't pan out well for them. He also bows respectfully to his bosses if required (as in Kenji Kasen's case when Kenji bows respectfully to Claude). He never speaks, and will only make a slight grunt when he is hurt, or an "Ugh!" whenever he is killed. He also seemingly is willing to kill whenever necessary, as he kills Kenji Kasen (a former boss) on the orders of Donald Love, and possibly kills Maria for talking too much. Claude will not hesitate to kill his former employers if necessary, or if given orders by another employer, as shown when he kills Kenji and Salvatore Leone under orders from Donald Love and Asuka Kasen respectively.
Claude remains true to his mission of finding and taking revenge on Catalina for leaving him for dead, and will be ready to fight even the Army in order to accomplish his goals, even showing the slightest bit of pity for Maria when he allows her to live after saving her.
Notable Crimes committed by Claude
- The robbery of the Bank of Liberty.
- Planted a hidden bomb inside Mike Forelli's Car.
- Pose as a getaway driver for three mafia members while they robbed the Bank of Liberty.
- Blown away the Triad's fish market.
- Rescued Maria and killed the Cartel leader Catalina.
- In-game, Claude is the most hated protagonist in the Grand Theft Auto series to date, as almost every gang in Liberty City becomes hostile to him as the player progresses through the storyline. With the exception of the Yakuza (who are unaware of Claude's involvement in Kenji Kasen's death) and the Southside Hoods, every gang that Claude has worked for turns on him at some point in the storyline.
- Claude could possibly be of Italian descent, as Salvatore Leone proposes to make him a made man if he was successful in destroying the Colombian Cartel's ship. By Mafia law, only men of Italian descent can be made. However in Cipriani's Chauffeur, Joey Leone stated he wasn't Italian. It is likely that Salvatore Leone told Claude this just to entice him into carrying out the task.
- Claude is the only GTA III Era protagonist that doesn't speak. Maria discusses this with Lazlow on Chatterbox FM, saying that a man she's just met "don't talk too much". However, as radio stations repeat everything over and over again, the player can hear her saying that before she even meets Claude.
- Claude is the only protagnist who had sex with the main antagonist (Catalina).
- Claude appears on a poster inside of the Ocean View Hotel in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, as an easter egg.
- In the PC version for GTA III, Claude has two appearances to choose from: his default appearance, which consists of a black jacket, green trousers and dark-coloured sneakers; and a slightly modified version of it: a crew cut with a "Zappa" styled mustache, and a brown jacket with jeans and a pair of white sneakers.
- In the Xbox version, Claude's hairstyle is slightly different and his fingers are more defined.
- Claude's name is only revealed in the data files of GTA III and when Catalina refers to him in her calls to Carl Johnson in GTA San Andreas, having been nameless throughout his appearance as protagonist in GTA III and in his cameo in GTA San Andreas. He is the only protagonist in the series to not be named in the game in which he or she is protagonist.
- An easter egg in Grand Theft Auto IV paid homage to Claude and all the other GTA III Era protagonists in the form of small scribblings on the wall in random parts of the city.
- In GTA IV, the player can unlock a set of clothes similar to Claude's style for Niko Bellic. They are obtainable in the wardrobe at Playboy X's penthouse.
- It was revealed in data files of GTA III that the player was once allowed to enter their own character name, and the "DEFNAM" (default name) value for it was "Claude".
- Claude always shifts his shoulders forward when walking in the cutscenes in GTA III.
- Carl Johnson referred to him as "a mute asshole" and "a fucking snake without a tongue" in the mission Wear Flowers in Your Hair
- He is the only protagonist to appear in the same mission as two other protagonists in the GTA III era. He encounters Carl Johnson during Farewell, My Love... in GTA San Andreas, while he encounters Toni Cipriani as a boss in GTA III.
- Claude is seen wearing the exact same clothes in GTA III and in GTA San Andreas, which is rather odd as it is presumed that 8-Ball got him whatever clothes that he had in Give Me Liberty.
- Claude has striking similarities to Max Payne. They both have problems with the mafia, normally wield pistols and wear leather jackets, and they both can slow down time. However Claude can only slow down time when he takes adrenaline.
- Claude kills two/possibly three of Toni Cipriani's former employers (Salvatore Leone, Leon McAffrey and possibly Maria).
- Claude is the second least customizable character in the GTA III Era (behind Mike), as none of the options for protagonist customization in later games are present in GTA III. In most versions of the game, Claude wears one outfit (with the exception of the prison jumpsuit in Give Me Liberty), although there is one alternative clothing skin option in the PC version of GTA III.
- Claude is the only protagonist in the series that drives a car in a different game which cannot be driven in the game in which he is playable, as he drives an Elegy in Farewell, My Love..., which is not present in GTA III.
- An easter egg in GTA IV suggested that Claude was dead, but this was false as Rockstar Games confirmed that Claude is definitely not dead.
- Claude bears a strong resemblance to the silver screen actor Montgomery Clift; whether or not this was intentional has never been confirmed or even implied by anyone involved with the series, and there are no references in Claude's name, history, or storyline to Clift or any of the characters he portrayed. Because of these factors, Claude's physical resemblance to Clift is likely coincidental.
Grand Theft Auto 2
There is speculation that Claude is the same character as Claude Speed from Grand Theft Auto 2. Aside from the same first name, the Claude that appears in GTA 2: The Movie is dressed similarly (but not identically) to the Claude of GTA III. The movie's version of Claude Speed shares a several physical appearances with the Claude in the GTA III Era games, including his black jacket (made of cloth in GTA 2 and leather in GTA III, GTA San Andreas), t-shirt (white color in GTA 2 and black in GTA III, GTA San Andreas), long pants (black color in GTA 2 and dark khaki in GTA III, GTA San Andreas) and slicked hair.
Rockstar has never confirmed or denied that the two are the same person: in response to a query posted by a fan, an official spokesperson said:
"Probably. It seems very likely but it’s also possible that there are just a lot of angry silent car thieves called Claude out there."
Rockstar created an official Facebook quiz called "What Grand Theft Auto character are you?", in which by answering sixteen questions, the user would be given a character from the GTA series that fitted their personality. Certain combinations of answers would result in the answer Claude Speed with the artwork of GTA III's Claude, suggesting that either Claude Speed was merged with Claude, or that the two characters are exactly the same character, while also suggesting that this could be an official confirmation of them being the same characters. However, the accompanying description makes no reference to GTA 2.
It would be worth noting that if both Claudes were the same character, it would prove one of the following:
- Grand Theft Auto 2 is canon with the 3D Universe.
- Claude Speed was the full name of Claude.
- Claude was still alive in the near future.
- GTA III
- As the protagonist, he appears in every mission.
- GTA San Andreas
- GTA Online
- Character Customization (HD Universe Version)
Notable murders committed
|Mike Forelli||Mike Lips Last Lunch||Saint Mark's||Mike Forelli is killed on orders from Joey Leone after the Forelli Brothers did not pay their debts.|
|Lee Chong||Farewell 'Chunky' Lee Chong|| Chinatown
(Note: Chong can flee and be killed anywhere on Portland)
|Lee Chong is killed on orders from Joey Leone for selling SPANK through his Punk Noodles stand.|
|Curly Bob||Cutting the Grass||Portland Harbor||Curly Bob is killed on orders from Salvatore Leone for selling Leone Family secrets to the Colombian Cartel in return for SPANK.|
|Salvatore Leone||Sayonara Salvatore||Red Light District or Saint Mark's||Salvatore Leone is killed on orders from Asuka Kasen to prove Claude's loyalty to Asuka and the Yakuza and for trying to kill Claude.|
|Leon McAffrey||Plaster Blaster||Staunton Island||Leon McAffrey is killed on orders from Ray Machowski for turning states evidence against him.|
|Tanner||Two-Faced Tanner||Staunton Island||Tanner is killed on orders from Asuka Kasen for being an undercover police officer.|
|Kenji Kasen||Waka-Gashira Wipeout||Newport||Kenji Kasen is killed on orders from Donald Love to start a war between the Colombian Cartel and Yakuza to drive down property prices.|
|Catalina||The Exchange||Cochrane Dam||Catalina is killed after betraying Claude during a bank heist.|
|Carlos||Her Lover||Trenton||Carlos can be killed after the mission although there is no requirement to do so.|
|Chico||Chaperone||Chinatown||Chico can be killed during the mission after the cutscene with Maria Latore.|
- Asked & Answered: Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire, Red Dead and More - rockstargames.com
- Grand Theft Auto III: Your Questions Answered – Part One (Claude, Darkel & Other Characters). Rockstar Games.
- (UPDATED) Asked & Answered – Re: Vice City, Red Dead Redemption and Chinatown Wars - rockstargames.com
- Asked & Answered: Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire, Red Dead and More - rockstargames.com
- What Grand Theft Auto character are you? - facebook.com