Community:Promotion/Carl "CJ" Johnson
| This is a record of a unsuccessful nomination to become Staff.
Please do not edit the nomination, questions or comments sections of this page. Discuss on the talk page if neccessary.
I nominated myself, as I thought, "Meh, what the heck? It's worth a shot!" Carl "CJ" Johnson 21:07, 20 March 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks for nominating yourself. The procedue for community-approved administrators is simple - firstly you answer some questions that I'll put below, then everybody can reply here with their opinions on whether you should or should not become an admin. A decision will be made by the existing admin team in a few days time. I know you nominated yourself for fun, but I think it's worth a try. It'll help us decide a proper system for future admins - so your help here would be appreciated.
- If you don't get through this time, we'll give you some tips on how you can improve and perhaps try again in a couple of months. But if you do get through, you'll become a member of the Grand Theft Wiki admin team. Xenon 17:16, 22 March 2007 (UTC)
Questions for the candidate
Carl "CJ" Johnson, please answer these questions below (answer after the question). If anybody would like to ask another question, feel free.
Why do you want to become an admin on Grand Theft Wiki?
I was mostly nominating myself for fun, but if I do become an Admin, I'm hoping to help out, and I also want to increase the ammount of Staff on the site by becoming an Admin, as there are only 3. Long story short, I just want to help out.
- Fun is acceptable - I share your enthusiasm for wanting to apply. However, I don't agree with the number-of-admins statement. If an editor tells one of the three administrators that there is a problem, one of us will fix it pretty quickly, we do not need more admins at this stage. If you put Template:Vandal onto any page, it will list it as ready for deletion - this means I can quickly check it every day and see if there are any articles that need dealing with. We are currently planning another system for notifying admins of troublesome users. Xenon
Do you have any experience on other wikis, or being an admin or moderator on any other sites?
Not on Wikis, but I have a Web Forum I am the Administrator of (Guru Games, of course), and I might've been a Mod on another forum (not sure).
- This is not an absolute requirement for the job, however it is recommended that you have experience dealing with troublemakers. However, Grand Theft Wiki is a good platform to practice on... and you don't need to have a "ban" button to do that. Xenon
What do you think the job of a SysOp is on Grand Theft Wiki?
To prevent vandalism and keep the site relatively safe, and to fairly discipline those who violate the Rules And Regulations on Grand Theft Wiki. It is also keeping pages up to date and correct.
- Of course no answer to this question is ever going to be perfect. You are right to say that the role of a SysOp is preventative, because of course normal moderation (removing bad things) can be done by any user. The job of a SysOp is partially to enforce the rules and prevent violations, but it is a lot more than that. Most of the time you will not need to go near your SysOp tools - maybe that sounds boring but you do already have the ability to create and edit pages. The rest of the time you should be contributing in discussion and forming policy. A SysOp is always an editor first - a respected member of the GTW community second, and a rule-enforcer third. Xenon
All members can add comments here, but please say WHY you think the candidate should or should not become an admin. Please remember to sign your comments with ~~~~
Comments by 47
- Your contributions to the site were very prominent in late 2006. Recently however, as a site moderator you have failed to prove that you can work on the site, and devote time into writing new articles. (This is simply by checking the site changes in the last 30 days) 3/10
- You spend too much time editing your own page then other site articles (Also by checking the site's changes) 2/10
- Your co-operation level is good with Grand Theft Wiki admins. 9/10
- Your article style is good, but not excellent, you can improve articles by adding a picture to every article (where applicable) and working on spelling, formatting, etc. 6/10
- CJ you must contribute more to general articles then your user page!!
- Its better that you spend more time on each article
Other then that there is nothing stopping you from becoming a sysop. Remember if you dont get it this time, fix your errors and you can try again after some reasonable time (ie. in a month), but you MUST take to account what is written above or you will again end up in the same place. 47 23:39, 22 March 2007 (UTC)
- That's the one thing I can't do. I can't provide pictures as I can't get quality ones unless I use someone else's, and I also don't know how to put them on the site. Klacid 00:00, 28 March 2007 (BST) P.S.: I changed my Username
Images are simple - there is an "upload file" button on the left... that uploads an image, then you just put the image name into a link, like [[Image:image.jpg]]. See Editing for more editing help. Xenon
Comments by Xenon
To be blunt, I think there is a lot more you could do as an editor before becoming a SysOp. You need to show that you understand how GTW works, and how to use the wiki effectively, so that you can be a point of contact for the community. As an admin, people will look to you for help and guidance, and if you don't know how to do it yourself then you can't fulfil that role. We are not flooded with spamming at the moment, so we don't have an urgent need to appoint more admins. However, I thank you for applying, and it has helped us formulate a good system for assessing admin candidates in the future. I strongly encourage you to keep editing, and when you know your way around a bit more, and you've shown that you can help people, then we can talk about this again. Xenon 00:42, 28 March 2007 (BST)
People who agree with the nomination, comment here
People who do not agree with the nomination, comment (~~~~) here