The Karin Dilettante is a hybrid vehicle which debuted in Grand Theft Auto IV.
The Dilettante is depicted as a compact four-door hatchback based on a 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, with headlights from a Citroën C4. According to a radio advertisement in the game, the Dilettante is worth $39,999 brand new; which is more expensive then the Prius in real life; which is about $22,000.
An extracted texture of a Dilettante billboard advertising in GTA IV.
The Dilettante, powered by a small (<2L) petrol engine along with an electric motor, is coupled to a 5 speed gearbox in FWD configuration. Acceleration, predictably, is well below average; taking the Dilettante upwards of 10 seconds to reach its top speed of 135 km/h (84 mph), which for an electric/gas hybrid is rather brisk. Handling can be described as fair, though understeer is very noticeable. The suspension is firm enough to cope with high speed cornering, while soft enough to tackle Liberty City's rough streets. Braking is very good, and ABS is standard across the line. Crash deformation is acceptable, though engine build quality is below average. In all, the Dilettante is an underwhelming vehicle, unsuited to high-performance applications such as high-speed chases or escapes, or ramming other vehicles.
- The word dilettante means a dabbler in fine arts, or a connoisseur. It can also mean amateurish or superficial, the latter meaning playing into the stereotype of hybrid owners as caring more about being perceived as eco-friendly than actually trying to help the environment (as is suggested in the advertisement for the car).
- Unlike other vehicles advertised on the radio, the Dilettante is the first to exist as a drivable vehicle within the game.
- The two default radio stations in the Dilettante are IF99 - International Funk and K109 The Studio.
- At the end of the Dilettante advertisement on the Rockstar website, the car is caved in at the front, despite it being "new."
- In perfect condition this car can be sold in the S&M Auto Sales for $2,000