- For the vehicle in GTA IV and GTA Chinatown Wars, see Dukes (car).
Dukes is a borough of Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto IV. Whilst it only contains 8 out of the city's 65 neighbourhoods, the Dukes neighbourhoods themselves are large, meaning that the borough is fairly big , being equal in size, if not, slightly larger than its neighbouring borough Broker. Its real-life archetype is Queens. Avenues in Dukes are named after major battles in US history, such as Concord Avenue, Bunker Hill Avenue, Ticonderoga Avenue and Stillwater Avenue. The borough is spread across two islands. 7 out of its 8 districts are located on the Broker/Dukes mainland island, whilst the Charge Island neighbourhood is located on Charge Island to the west.
The real Queens is the largest of five boroughs in the city of New York, mostly residential, very ethnically diverse and is home to both of the city's major airports, LaGuardia Airport and John F. Kennedy International Airport. The Queensboro Bridge connects Queens with Manhattan (New York County). The borough of Queens is coterminous with Queens County. The Queens County borders with New York County (Manhattan), Bronx County (Bronx), Kings County (Brooklyn), and Nassau County (not part of New York City).
Dukes and Broker are the only boroughs in the metropolitan area to share an island. All other boroughs are separated by waters.
The character of Dukes is varied, and ranges from industrial warehouses and gritty areas (mainly in areas directly connected to the industrial districts of Broker) to well-off residential districts (Meadow Hills and Meadow Parks, for one.) The area as a whole is residential, with housing projects, suburbs and townhouses around the area, but some commercial areas (such as parts of Steinway, Cerveza Heights and East Island City, and the majority of Willis) exist, but there are mostly small, independent businesses, many of which are ethnic. The district also sees copious amounts of parkland, especially in Steinway and, unsurprisingly, Meadows Park.
Places of Interest in Dukes
- In East Island City, Dukes, you can find the National Union of Contemporary Arts otherwise known as NUCA.
- Festival Towers
- Francis International Airport
- LC24 Tower
- Liberty State Pavillion Towers
- The Monoglobe
- Liberty City Swingers Stadium
- East Island City
- East Borough Bridge
- Dukes Bay Bridge
- Tyler Dixon
- Jon Gravelli
- Harry Hall
- Little Jacob Hughes
- Michael Keane
- Maureen McReary
- Gerald McReary
- Derrick McReary
- Patrick McReary
- Francis McReary
- Kate McReary
- Harvey Noto
- Aiden O’Malley
- Gordon Sargent
- Bucky Sligo
- Fredo Volpe
- Mark Anthony Volpe
Businesses in Dukes
- Steinway Beer Garden (Yorktown Avenue/ Morris Street Intersection, Steinway)
- Cluckin' Bell (Huntington Street, Cerveza Heights)
- Steinway (Astoria)
- Meadows Park (Flushing, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park)
- East Island City (Long Island City)
- Meadow Hills (Forest Hills)
- Charge Island (Randall's Island and Ward's Island)
- Willis (Hollis, commercial district based on Jamaica)
- Francis International Airport (John F. Kennedy International Airport with the runway scheme based off of LaGuardia Airport)
- Cerveza Heights (Corona, Jackson Heights)