Fire extinguisher is an item in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas primarily used for extinguishing fires, as its name implies, though it can also be used as a weapon. As a weapon, it is quite inefficient, as it principally acts to disorient the target, but will kill a person with prolonged use. The fire extinguisher featured in GTA San Andreas is based off the most common real-world type, the dry chemical stored pressure design. With the exception of during certain missions, the fire extinguisher features an ammunition counter, which can be depleted, similar to weaponry.
There are missions that require the use of the fire extinguisher to get through burning buildings, but otherwise it is relatively useless. After finishing the firefighter missions, the fire extinguisher is especially useless, as the player becomes fire proof. The fire extinguisher can be found in the kitchens of fast food restaurants such as Burger Shot and Well Stacked Pizza, as well as various outdoor locations throughout San Andreas.
The following is a list of locations in which the fire extinguisher spawns in San Andreas.
- Inside the Vagos gang house in East Los Santos (only during the mission Burning Desire)
- Inside Big Smoke's crack den in East Los Santos (only during the mission End of the Line)
- At the Xoomer gas station in the Easter Basin district of San Fierro, at the south end of the main building
- Inside the Sindacco Abattoir in Whitewood Estates (only during the mission The Meat Business)
- In the Spinybed district of Las Venturas, at the Xoomer gas station just east of Millie Perkins' house, between the convenience store and car wash buildings
- Outside the small gas station in Whetstone, adjacent to the 24/7 along the main highway, just southeast of Angel Pine
- In Valle Ocultado, at its east end, outside the small gas station
- Strangely, if you kill someone with the Fire Extinguisher, they usually died of suffocation but blood will appear at their body like they were killed by firearms or melee weapons. People that died of suffocation in real life won't have blood dripping out of their body. The same thing also applies to the Spray Can and Tear Gas.