Friendships in The Lost and Damned
|Spoiler Warning: Plot and/or ending details are in the text which follows.|
In The Lost and Damned, the first DLC pack for Grand Theft Auto IV, the friendship system returns, although it is significantly simplified. In the game, Johnny Klebitz, the game's protagonist, has three friends, which are with Jim Fitzgerald, Clay Simons and Terry Thorpe.
The player may engage in specific activities with a characters, including bowling, going to a strip club, and going for a drink at a bar; these activities are activated by either having the player call their friends for a specific activity on their mobile phone, or wait for their friends to call instead (to which point their friends will pick a specific activity to do instead).
After setting an appointment, the player will have to head to their waiting friend, which will spawn in one of several possible points of the city; if the player does not pick their friend up for several hours, the friend will eventually become "bored" and cancel the meeting. After picking up their friend, the player's is primarily instructed to head to the activity as agreed upon during the phone call, but can in fact make several stopovers on the way for other activities. Once the player complete the primary activity, the friend will ask the player to drop them off a specific location, at that point, the friendship session ends.
The friendship feature is derided by certain commentators as a tedious and annoying aspect of TLAD, as friends will consistently call the player on offers to go on outings, and there is no clear way of avoiding the activity without sacrificing their player's friendships. Even if the player chooses not to go on any outings, friends will still call the player regardless, even if the player sets their phone into silent mode (which is intended to block incoming calls). However, there is a simple method of avoiding going on outings without penalty; this is achieved by initially accepting a friend's offer to go out, and selecting the "Cancel Plans" option after the call.
In The Lost and Damned, there is a total of three available friends, one of which will be killed over the course of TLAD's storyline:
After the mission Was It Worth It?, the player can no longer do any activities with Jim.
There are a total of ten activities that can be performed in an outing, including
- Play Air Hockey at any of the two bowling alleys in Liberty City.
- Arm Wrestle at the Lost MC Clubhouse (Unavaliable after the completion of the mission Get Lost).
- Play Hi-Lo at the Lost MC Clubhouse (unavaliable after the completion of the mission Get Lost).
- Play pool at the Homebrew Cafe at Schottler (Broker) or at the Lost MC Clubhouse (unavaliable after Get Lost is completed).
- Eating. This can be done at any Burger Shot, Cluckin' Bell and Pizza This branch throughout Liberty City, and also other diners, cafes and restaurants that become available while you're out with a friend.
- Drinking at the bars in Hove Beach (Broker), Steinway (Dukes), Purgatory (Algonquin), or Hatton Gardens (Algonquin). Being seen driving drunk will attract Wanted stars; it's best to take a taxi. It may take more than one try to hail a cab whilst drunk, as the taxi driver may not respond to your calls.
- Throw some darts at the Irish/German Pub in Steinway (Dukes) or in Purgatory (Algonquin).
- Visit a strip club. There are The Triangle Club in Northern Gardens (Bohan), and Honkers Gentlemen's Club in Tudor (Alderney). Lapdances are available in strip clubs.
- Visit the Cabaret Club in Hove Beach (Broker) or the Comedy Club, Split Sides, in Star Junction (Algonquin) to catch a show.
- Occasionally you will be called to give someone a lift; this usually happens when a friend is injured.
Unfortunately the player can no longer go Bowling with friends like in the main game, but Johnny can still play by himself.
There is also another activity called Hang Out which is when the player calls a friend who will go to The Lost MC clubhouse by himself. Hang Out is a friendship option that Johnny Klebitz can pick in The Lost and Damned. The option is when the player goes to hang out with a friend at The Lost MC Clubhouse by picking a friend to hang out with and picking this option on his phone. The player has to be a good distance away from the clubhouse before calling a friend. Once the player chooses a friend to hang out with, the player drives to the clubhouse to meet his friend (who is leaning against the outside) and then they enter the clubhouse. Once the player enters the clubhouse with his friend they have a choice between three activities which are Hi-Lo cards, Pool and/or Arm Wrestling. After the player chooses to leave one of those activities, he will not be able to enter it again and will have to do another activity or can just leave the current hang out session. When the player decides to leave, he has to exit the safehouse and walk a short distance away from the clubhouse and then the player will complete the hang out session.
Like girlfriends in GTA San Andreas, Girlfriends in GTA IV and Friends in GTA IV, friends provide special benefits to the player. Unlike Friendships in GTA IV, the player has all their special abilities from the beginning of the game.
Note: Sometimes a friend's benefit will not be available, due to excessive use or being blocked during certain missions.
- Clay Simons: As the Road Captain of the club, he will deliver bikes to his fellow club members including Johnny Klebitz, who is able to call him via his cellphone whenever he needs a bike. Jim is available at all times for activities.
- Jim Fitzgerald: Leaves the player a loaded weapon at the corner of the Lost MC Clubhouse. Jim is available at all times for activities. However, after you complete the mission Was It Worth It?, Jim, your friendship with him and his ability are lost.
- Terry Thorpe: Drives to, or close by, a secluded location near the player; his car's trunk is full of guns to purchase at a discount (60% off). Johnny can do this during a mission. Terry is available at all times for activities.
- Unlike GTA IV, if the player calls any of his friends to hang out with, unless the "Hang Out" option has been chosen, all three will come.
- The player can use nearly any mode of transport during an outing. In addition to regular road vehicles, the player can also take a taxi or ride the subway. If the player chooses to pick a friend up using a motorbike or a helicopter, the friend will utter unique comments on the player's choice of vehicle.
- After picking up a friend for an outing, he will usually engage the player character in a conversation about their personal life.
|Spoilers end here|
- Error creating thumbnail: File missing
A Hi-Lo game in progress.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missing
A game of darts in progress.