Rear quarter view)|
A Futo in GTA IV.
[[Appearance::Grand Theft Auto IV|
Grand Theft Auto V]]
|Vehicle type||Civilian car|
|Body style||2-door coupe|
The Futo is based on the 1984-1987 AE86 Toyota Corolla Levin GT-Apex AE86 Coupe, with the tail lights bearing striking resemblance to a first generation SEAT Toledo. The badging on the side ("N/A Inline 20v RWD", subtitled with "Quad Throttle Body", "High Performance Injection", and "Limited Slip Differential") indicates that it is equipped with a 20-valve engine, akin to Toyota's 4A-GE 1.6L Black or Silvertop engine (this engine did not actually appear until 1991; however, it was a popular modification for the AE86), and is configured with a rear wheel drive with a limited slip differential (possibly contributing to the car's excellent handling). It is much more powerful than the normal 16 valve 4A-GE equipped in the AE86 during it's production.
The car is very well detailed, from the interior to the individual throttle bodies and the RS Watanabe F8 wheel option (likely in reference to the popular Watanabe RS wheels for the AE86 Corolla).
The Futo is powered by what appears to be a 1.6L high revving I4, paired with a five-speed gearbox in a rear-wheel drive configuration. Acceleration is above average, and its top speed of 145 km/h (90 mph) is staggeringly quick. The chassis is firm and taut, giving the Futo stability at high speeds, and the ability to be thrown around for a bit of flair. Its suspension is firm, keeping the Futo flat in banked corners and stable in the S-curves. Braking is acceptable, and front-wheel lock-up is not a big issue compared to other vehicles; however, ABS is not available. The Futo handles well off-road and can reach about 75% of its top speed on dirt roads and beaches. Crash deformation is also acceptable, though build quality is sub-par, often leaving the Futo disabled after just a few accidents.
All in all the Futo is great fun to drive, and makes an excellent escape or pursuit vehicle in missions. It is also an ideal car to drift since it is a light weight, front engine rear wheel drive car. The only possible disadvantages during a pursuit or escape is that the vehicle is small, lacking the power to move other vehicles, and only has two doors, rather than four.
The so-called "GT" variant (referred as such from the "GT" badge on the front grill) features a small body kit, a rear boot lip spoiler, a carbon-fiber hood, a roll cage, a strut bar mounted over the engine, a racing seat on the driver's side, an upgraded speed/torque gauge, and an additional "Inline 20v" badge under the right side rear light. The game still refers to the car simply as the Futo when the player enters it, and its performance is identical to the stock car's. The Futo GT is only seen in red and black, but can be resprayed any color. This may be because the car that the Futo is based on, (Toyota AE86 Levin), has also a GT model as well as an SR model.
Although these Futos are distinct from typical models, all Futos have "Futo GT" written on the interior of the doors, presumably to save texture memory.
- A Futo appears in the trailer for GTA V. It looks mostly identical to the GTA IV rendition.
- After collecting all thirty cars for Stevie, he agrees to purchase cars from Niko, with the Futo fetching $1,400.
- The Futo shares color scheme, engine sound, and drive layout with Blista Compact and Hakumai.
- The two default radio stations for the Futo are IF99 and K109 The Studio.
- The car is a creation of Mike Bush, an American vehicle designer for Rockstar UK, and an AE86 enthusiast.
- The name "Futo" is a diminutive of the working file name during production, "Dorifuto", a Japanese loanword for car drifting; the name also happens to rhyme with "Puto", a Spanish swear word.
- Futos are used in the Gang Wars, but these come with different modifications.
- Spawn all around Bohan, especially Little Bay.
- Spawn around Chinatown, Algonquin.
- Spawn around Castle Gardens, Algonquin.
- Often spawns parked behind a building directly south of Happiness Island.
- Spawn in traffic in Multiplayer.
- In Grand Theft Auto V, the Futo probably could be spawned from the dirty house as seen in the trailer.