Gang Warfare in The Lost and Damned
To start a Gang War, the player must drive to a designated meeting point where he will meet up with several Lost members, after while they must drive to the enemy location, which could be nearby or as far away as another island. The enemy might be holed up in a location, or they may be driving around town in one or more vehicles.
Clay, Terry, Jim and three non-storyline characters assist the player during a battle. Completing a Gang War earns money and raises toughness of surviving Lost MC members, and spawns weapons in Johnny's safehouses. Completing 25 Gang Wars raises the player's completion percentage. In addition to this, the enemy often drop money and weapons that can be picked up if Johnny is fast enough during or after the battle.
Gang Wars enemies
- The Angels of Death
- The Yardie
- The Mafia (Gambetti, Pavano, Messina, Lupisella, Ancelotti, and Pegorino crime Syndicates)
- The Russian Mafia (Petrovic's Family, Faustin's Family, Bulgarin's Family)
- The Albanian Mafia
Rewards for completing Gang Wars
Completing Gang Wars will reward Johnny with weapons which will spawn at either of his safehouses. Unlike many other side missions, once the criteria for 100% completion is met (25 gang wars, in this case), the player can continue to engage in gang warfare for additional weapon rewards.
- 10 Gang Wars: A Sawn-off Shotgun spawns
- 20 Gang Wars: An Automatic 9mm spawns
- 30 Gang Wars: A Carbine Rifle spawns
- 40 Gang Wars: A Streetsweeper spawns
- All 50 Gang Wars: A Grenade Launcher spawns
Gang War Variations
- Hanging Out Wars: This gang warfare style is when a gang is situated in one location of the map and there approximately 20-30 enemies to gun down then has the capability to call for reinforcements. Either Clay Or Terry says this before Klebitz goes to the war ('"I have intel that they are hangin in our Very OWN Alderney") this means a Hanging out war. All targets must be eliminated, and that includes gang members who might run away (it's possible for them to get many blocks from the scene, though almost always they're on foot making them easy to track down later). Some of the gang members will be armed with molotov cocktails or grenades on higher levels.
- Cruising Wars: This gang warfare style is when there are gang's on the move and waiting for a provoked attack (Lost MC attacks) there are many enemies in this style of warfare as they do call for more backup and more gang members spawn. Either Clay Or Terry states ("They are just Cruisin and shit") this means that this war is a Cruising War.
- Transportation Wars: This style of gang war requires Klebitz to chase down and destroy the main enemy vehicle without it getting away. In this gang war there are also many enemies trying to protect a vehicle at all cost that they even call for more backup. Either Terry or Clay says ("They are doing a Little Escort Work Last Time I Heard") this means that this mission is a Transportation War. This arguably the easiest of the battles, as all Johnny needs to do is destroy the designated vehicle; the easiest way is to drive-by and fire three or four shotgun rounds at the vehicle, which is usually enough to set it on fire. Avoid enemy attacks long enough for the vehicle to blow up, and the battle is won. This is also the battle where Lost casualties can be minimized the most.
Needless to say, Johnny needs to be close enough to the gang members during the drive over to the location in order to actually hear this information.
By completing an increasing number of Gang Wars, the number of enemies you have to fight increases, and their weapons get stronger as well. You will have to develop different strategies to beat these missions.
For Hanging Out Wars and Cruising Wars, try a hit-and-run-strategy. Some enemies will follow you to an ambush. Return to the remaining foes afterwards.
For Transportation Wars, you should hit the target vehicle as quick and hard as you can with a Sawn-off Shotgun. Shoot the driver to stop the vehicle, then shoot at the vehicle until it starts burning and disappear.
In the Hanging Out Wars, it's not uncommon for individual enemy gang members to flee the scene, sometimes putting many blocks between him and the Lost. The mission doesn't end until these targets are tracked down too. Just remember that putting too much distance between Johnny and the battle scene will cause any bike he brings to unspawn.
Gang Vehicles Used In Gang Wars
Below lists all of the vehicles used by enemy gangs in the Gang Wars. Some are target vehicles that require the player to destroy rather than kill off the enemy gang.
|Gang||Standard Vehicles||Target Vehicles|
|The Angels of Death|| Angel
| Gang Burrito|
|Yardie Jamaican Hillside Posse|| Huntley Sport
|The Commission(Gambettis, Pavanos, Messinas, Lupisellas, Ancelottis, Pegorinos)|| Sentinel
|Russian Mafia(Petrovic's Family, Faustin's Family, Bulgarin's Family)|| Schafter
Members of the Lost MC
There are 24 members of Lost Brotherhood that can join Johnny's formation in Gang Wars, other than the usually present Jim Fitzgerald, Clay Simons, and Terry Thorpe. Each new member (up to three) rides on the backs of Jim, Clay, and Terry and aid the group in killing enemies. Each can be toughened up to increase their AI and upgrade their weapons, but each can also be killed in every gang warfare event. Once one dies, the next member takes his place. There appears to be no limit to how many Lost members can be killed (however, Jim, Clay and Terry can never be killed during gang war).
- Malc, during the mission "Heavy Toll", mentioned, that the war between The Lost and AOD is very similar to warfare in Los Santos. It could be an easter egg, since the warfare system in San Andreas and TLAD are very similar.
- Terry will refer an enemy gang as "lunatics" if the enemy gang is aggressive and this could be any gang except for The Angels of Death.
- Despite all the gun battles, you'll find Johnny doesn't get a wanted level very often. If this does happen, Johnny's friends will battle the cops, allowing the player to kill the remaining enemy. Once a set of enemy targets is dead, the wanted level automatically goes away.
- Occasionally, female voices will be heard during a battle, even though all combatants on both sides are male.