|Give Me Liberty|
8-Ball explaining to Claude the next course of action to be taken after their new found freedom.
|Location||Callahan Bridge, Portland, Liberty City|
|Unlocked by||Introductory cutscenes|
Give Me Liberty is the first mission of Grand Theft Auto III and is given to protagonist Claude by explosives expert 8-Ball from the Callahan Bridge, Portland, Liberty City. The mission serves as the opening sequence that the player controls.
The Colombian Cartel raided the police convoy with the SWAT Van containing Claude and 8-Ball. The two managed to survive the explosion in prison clothes. 8-Ball first tells Claude to drive over to a safehouse at the Red Light District. Using a unused Kuruma car, They arrive and change their clothes. 8-Ball informs Claude about Luigi Goterelli, the owner of Luigi's Sex Club 7 having some work for Claude, so the two drive over there.
8-Ball: I know a place on the edge of the Red Light District where we can lay low, but my hands are all messed up so you better drive, brother.
(The two reach a safehouse in Red Light District)
8-Ball: This is the place right here, let's get off the street and find a change of clothes!
(8-Ball and Claude change their clothes)
8-Ball: I know this guy, he's connected, his name is Luigi. Me an' him go back so I could probably get you some work. C'mon lets head over there.
- Between the beginning of the mission and "Last Requests", the player can in fact cross the damaged Callahan Bridge to gain access both Staunton Island and Shoreside Vale early. See Callahan Bridge#Exploits for more details.
- The player can exploit this mission to allow the player character to don the orange Liberty State Penitentiary jumpsuit outside the mission. Requiring a saved game, the player must first load it then then start a new game. Once the cutscenes preceding the mission are over, the player must then load the saved game again, allowing the player character to appear in the jumpsuit in the saved game. By wearing the outfit, the cheat code allowing the player character to assume the appearance of random pedestrian characters is useless as long as the player doesn't save the game. Otherwise, the jumpsuit remains as the player character's default attire permanently.
- After some time has passed, a pair of LCPD police cars respond to the distress signal and will drive up the bridge, obviously too late to save the convoy. However, upon closer inspection, the police cars will just stop at the damaged part of the bridge, and the officers inside will not do anything.
- The burning wreckage consists of an LCPD Enforcer turned over on its side, and a wrecked Mafia Sentinel. However, a Mafia Sentinel was not part of the convoy and was not seen when the Colombians attacked. Also, the GTA III physics engine does not permit cars to be turned over on its side, the cars will either be right side up or upside down.
- The Kuruma given to the player on the bridge is always painted teal, and tuned to Head Radio when first entered. It is seen being driven earlier on the bridge, behind the convoy, and is the only car to survive the explosion.
The inside of the safehouse.