Grand Theft Auto Online
| This article concerns a future game or content that is unreleased.
Some details may be speculative, and may not turn out to be correct.
|Grand Theft Auto Online|
|Locations||Southern San Andreas
City of Davis
Los Santos County
|Year||2013, before the events of GTA V|
Grand Theft Auto Online (GTAO or GTA O) is an online multiplayer universe for the GTA series. It will launch on 1 October 2013 and will be included with retail copies of Grand Theft Auto V. GTAO will be a dynamic and constantly growing world, as it will continue to expand as content is added either by Rockstar or GTAO players.
- To allow players to experience GTA V's story and become familiar with the game's mechanics, GTA Online is unavailable until October 1st, two weeks after the game's launch.
- Character creation involves choosing the heritage of the protagonist's parents, then using a gene dominance meter that determines which parent the protagonist's looks more closely resemble. Owners of the GTA V Collector's Edition can choose Niko Bellic, Claude, or Misty as parents.
- The protagonist's daily activities can also be customized. Family time, illegal work, sports, and lounging on the couch all impact the protagonist's appearance and skills.
- GTA Online is a story-driven experience that intertwines with the single-player story. The player-created character is new to Los Santos and wishes to make it big. Through the player's actions, he/she will rise up the criminal ladder and meet several characters from the single-player story, such as Lamar, who will give them missions.
- Completing matches and missions earns the player money, which can be spent on customizing their character's appearance, weapons and vehicles. More options become accessible as the storyline advances and as cash is acquired.
- Players can also spend money on a customizable apartment for their character, and a garage in which they can store and customize up to 10 vehicles.
- Banks and stores throughout the world can be robbed by the player. Teaming up with others makes pulling off the heists easier, however there is a chance that a member of the team may run off with the take, making trust a vital part in planning.
- During a heist, Grand Theft Auto Online uses a voice recognition system. If one or more players yell commands at the bank staff such as "faster!", the moneybag will be filled faster than usual, allowing for a quicker getaway.
- Money earned during gameplay is not safe until it is put into the player character's bank account. If killed, the money will be dropped and can be stolen by others.
- Players can insure their vehicles so that if they are destroyed, lost or stolen, they are replaced free of charge. The cost of insurance depends on the the vehicle's class, which in turn is determined by its performance and modifications.
- Crews will be carried over from Max Payne 3 into Grand Theft Auto Online.
- It is essentially a GTA MMORPG, though groups of players are limited to just 16.