Grand Theft Auto V
| This article concerns a future game that is unreleased.
Some details may be speculative, and may not turn out to be correct.
|Grand Theft Auto V|
|Location||Los Santos, State of San Andreas|
The game is set in modern day Los Santos, San Andreas and its surrounding countryside;, and it will be released in Spring 2013 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A precise release date is not yet known, and a PC version has not yet been confirmed.
We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.
Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.
A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.
At any time outside a mission (and in some missions that feature several of them), you can switch between these characters. When not being controlled, they will continue with their lives, so switching to them will put in you whatever situation they are currently in. These three protagonists will have overlapping storylines and will affect each other.
Storyline missions and some hobbies and side-missions will only be available to the specific character. But most side-missions and random encounters will be available to any.
Los Santos and the surrounding areas have been completely remade on a much larger and more detailed scale than in GTA San Andreas.
The world will be bigger than the total size of the worlds from GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA San Andreas combined.
Named locations include: Vinewood, Little Seoul, Los Puerta Freeway, Vespucci Beach, Downtown, Del Perro Freeway, East Los Santos and Los Santos Bay. There is also expansive countryside including Mount Chiliad, a military base and coastline.
Notably, the game will continue to display mountains and buildings from the entire map, even many miles away. This is in contrast to GTA IV where only 1.5km of distance is rendered, and buildings suddenly appear when the player gets close. Now, even lights on buildings and streetlights from the opposite side of the map will be visible when high enough up, creating a much greater sense of the massive scale.
In addition to the multiple protagonists, GTA V will bring many new (and returning) features:
- The trailer shows: planes, airships/blimps, trucks, jet-skis, mountainous countryside, convertible cars, mines and wind turbines.
- Many vehicles in the trailer appear to be directly from GTA IV, with some being redesigned, and many new ones have been created.
- Planes are confirmed to be flyable in GTA V since there is more map space (Grand Theft Auto IV was to have planes as well, but due to restricted size, this was changed).
- Bicycles will be returning to the Grand Theft Auto series.
- The map is bigger than the total size of the worlds from GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA San Andreas combined.
- The entire map will be visible to the player, instead of only rendering short distances. Even mountains and building lights from the far side of the map will be visible.
- The city and surrounding areas appear to be thick with smog during late evening time.
- The robbers that are dressed as exterminators' target resembles the landmark shopping plaza on the corner of Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Blvd. in real-life Los Angeles.
- Some characters from the GTA IV Era will appear in the game, but not protagonists such as Niko Bellic
- A dog is seen in the beginning of the first GTA V trailer and in an artwork, suggesting that the game may include pets, and quite possibly wildlife.
- Crews will be carried over from Max Payne 3 into Grand Theft Auto V's multiplayer.
In November 2011, Rockstar announced GTA V with the first trailer.
Throughout autumn 2012, Rockstar released a range of screenshots from GTA V.
In October 2012, retail posters and displays were leaked showing a release date of Spring 2013 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A PC date is not yet known. This was confirmed by a Facebook post from Rockstar
On 5 November 2012, Rockstar announced that GTA V is available to be pre ordered and released a "Beach Weather" PC wallpaper. Later that day they announced that a 2nd trailer will be shown on 14 Nov 12.
On 8 November 2012, GameInformer released a 23-page feature on GTA V, revealing masses of information including the three protagonists, the scale of the Los Santos map, and some hints into the feature changes.
For an analysis of the Trailer, see here.
- The music in the trailer is "Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake Overture" by Small Faces.
- For all GTA V screenshots, see: Category:Screenshots of GTA V
Stills from trailer
A beach with a dog.
A jet ski, marked Speedophile 2000.
Hikers at the base of a mountain near Los Santos.
A convertible car retracting its roof.
Several wind power generators near Los Santos.
A man in a suit overlooking the city.
A crop dusting plane over a vineyard.
Three men attempt to rob a store dressed as exterminators; notice the accessories on the rifle.
A pumpjack on an oil well.
A police helicopter and officers chasing a man.
The Vinewood sign.
A Learjet-based plane (similar to a Shamal) flying over the city.
A new LSPD helicopter.
A peaceful waterside.
The redesigned Cheetah.
A man with a Parachute next to a mountain.
Three men racing on dirtbikes, possibly Sanchezes.
Two civilians playing tennis.
A character hijacking a truck carrying sports cars.
An updated Infernus while being pursued. The driver is the same man from the previous photo.
A man flying a stunt plane over a river.
A man aiming an "AK-47" at a police helicopter. The side gunner of the helicopter has a laser attachment on his weapon.
One of the protagonists on a lifeguard jetski with a Ruger MP9.
First GTA V artwork that was revealed on 10/24/2012.
Retail poster that was revealed on 10/30/2012.
Poster showing artwork and Spring 2013 release date
- GTAV poster 2.jpg
Poster showing artwork with female police officer and detainee
- GTAV poster 3.jpg
Poster showing artwork with a man sitting in a Quadbike holding a Sniper Rifle . It was later revealed that he is one of the protagonists
"Beach Weather" PC wallpaper released on 5 Nov 12
Artwork promoting the release of the 2nd trailer revealed on 5 Nov 12
The cover for GameInformer's article on GTA V released on November 8 2012, confirming that there are 3 protagonists
GTA V's cover art revealed by GameInformer on November 8 2012, showing one of the main protagonists
Hints and guesses about GTA V
A large number of possible clues had been found in previous GTA games and elsewhere to indicate what may have been the setting and content of GTA V. Fans also made a number of educated guesses.
- A number of sources were citing Ned Luke as the actor portraying the lead character, supposedly named Albert De Silva. If this character is the man in the suit from the GTA V trailer, who closely resembles Ned Luke, this character seems to be older and more successful than previous GTA protagonists who have started at the bottom of the food chain and worked their way up. This could indicate a significant change in the progression of the game from previous iterations. Alternatively, this character could be one of several playable characters through the course of the game, as has been rumoured, which would be a first since the GTA 1 Era.
- A leaked casting call lists several characters for a future game, which coincides with the name "Albert de Silva". These include mentally unstable hillbillies in "the sticks", a detailed cast of FBI agents, soccer moms and divorcees in the suburbs (perhaps de Silva's neighbors), celebrities, at least two Chinese Triad characters, and an 18-year-old slacker son for Albert named Kevin. Several young male Irish characters, including Eddie McReary who "lives with his cousin", hints very strongly at the return of Packie McReary. Niko Bellic's voice actor is in a dispute with Rockstar Games, and his return seems highly unlikely. James Pedeaston was released from prison and will make a comeback, but possibly with a different voice actor. There is a very strong focus on the political issue of legalized and/or medicinal marijuana.
- On page thirteen of the Episodes from Liberty City guide book, there's a teaser that shows a broken heart made of the GTA IV box art and says "Liberty City, It's Over!" followed by "Next Stop..." and a small torn area that shows another poster behind, later revealed to be an advert for Mollis. The torn area has been noted as being in the shape of France. It also says in the right lower corner in a red box "Opens March Everywhere".
- According to reports, Rockstar Games recently registered new website domains that sound like they could belong to GTA V's in-game Internet, assuming the game inherits the feature from GTA IV. The domains are: CashForDeadDreams.com, SixFigureTemps.com, StopPayingYourMortgage.net, HammersteinFaust.com, and LifeInvader.com.
- On the Rockstar Games Social Club in the GTA IV Story Gang section, there is an Air Sol plane ticket that was apparently purchased by Niko Bellic to fly from Liberty City to San Andreas. This hints that Niko Bellic might make an appearance in the game, most likely as a mission boss or supporting character.
- Take-Two Interactive revealed they are expecting at least $2.00 per share for the first quarter of fiscal year 2012. The last time this happened was during the release of GTA IV, which reached $2.08 per share. Income only reached $1.06 per share during the release of Red Dead Redemption, and is projected to only reach $0.35 for the current fiscal year. It is expected that only a GTA game is able to bring this level of success to T2, which implies one must be planned for release in fiscal year 2012.
- There were rumors that both Niko Bellic and Carl Johnson would return, however these have been disproven. Michael Hollick, the voice actor for Niko, was involved in a pay dispute with Rockstar, which is the reason that he wasn't invited back to record new dialogue for GTA IV's DLC; whilst Young Maylay, the voice actor of CJ, denied on twitter that he is going to be in GTA V . It has now been confirmed by Rockstar that they won't come back
- In the Firefly Island amusement park in Grand Theft Auto IV, located quite near the miniature golf course, there is a fairground ride with a backdrop that features a collage of screenshots from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: the Vinewood Sign, a Hydra hovering in front of the Los Santos skyline, and a Shamal flying over the countryside. The similarity of this mural and the end of the GTA V trailer (where a private jet flies over the Vinewood Sign and towards Los Santos) has lead many to believe that the mural was a deliberate hint towards the location of GTA V. It is known that GTA games are in development for many years, even before the release of previous games, which suggests that GTA V has been in production since the release of GTA IV.
- The internal files of Max Payne 3's list some vehicles from GTA games (including Patriot, Rancher, and Willard) alongside some new vehicle names (such as "bobsleigh", "carga", "cs2000", and "winky"). As Max Payne 3 and GTA V are interlinked, particularly with multiplayer crews, it is believed that these may be some vehicles from GTA V .
- A possible easter egg in Max Payne 3 also hints towards potential vehicles in GTA V. In-game on a pin board, there are four images of aircraft, none of which are seen in Max Payne 3. Two of these aircraft however bear a striking resemblance to the ones seen in the GTA V trailer, namely the private jet and the fighter jet. The other plane appears to be based on a C-130 Hercules, and judging by further files found in Max Payne 3, could possibly be the Andromada.
- IGN has made a list of rumors and leaks that have been reported.
- In regard to the lack of information for Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar stated: "We are sorry if you find this frustrating, but please understand, we don’t do this because we ‘don’t care about our fans' 'don’t respect our fans’ 'hate GTA fans' etc, — precisely the opposite! We do it because we want to make sure we only release 100% correct information, and because we want to keep plenty back for the actual game release so there are still lots of surprises when you play it. We just have not been in a position to show more of the game than the trailer and will not be for a while yet. We will try and get some more screens for you soon and then another trailer when we are ready." 
- During Take Two's Q1 FY13 earnings call, they stated that Rockstar was “making substantial progress” on GTA V however a release date and what consoles it will be available on is still "TBA". 
- Los Santos in GTA V
- Businesses in GTA V
- Weapons in GTA V
- Vehicles in GTA V
- GTA V Trailers
- Vice City in GTA IV Era & San Andreas in GTA IV Era - references to the locations of GTA III Era games in the GTA IV Era.
- Community:GTA V Wishlist - the Grand Theft Wiki Community's suggestions on what should be included in GTA V.
- GTA V release date
- Rockstar Games Announcement
- Planes in GTA V
- Crews in GTA V
- Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake Overture/ Afterglow (of Your Love) - YouTube.com
- Is Albert De Silva GTA 5′s lead character?
- New Grand Theft Auto 5 Domains Registered? - 1up.com
- Niko Bellic and Carl Johnson to appear in GTA V
- Why Niko Bellic didn't receive new dialogue in The Lost and Damned
- Grand Theft Auto V - official website