Grand Theft Auto V
| This article concerns a future game or content that is unreleased.
Some details may be speculative, and may not turn out to be correct.
|Grand Theft Auto V|
|Location||Los Santos, State of San Andreas|
The game is set in modern day Los Santos, San Andreas and its surrounding countryside;, and it will be released in Spring 2013 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A precise release is not yet known, and a PC version has yet to be confirmed.
New GTA V Trailer
Grand Theft Auto series
At any time outside a mission (and in some missions that feature several of them), you can switch between these characters. When not being controlled, they will continue with their lives, so switching to them will put in you whatever situation they are currently in. These three protagonists will have overlapping storylines and will affect each other.
Storyline missions and some hobbies and side-missions will only be available to the specific character. But most side-missions and random encounters will be available to any. Character customisation will be limited to clothing and similar - GTA V will not include full RPG-style customisation, like the fat/thin possibilities in GTA San Andreas, due to the complexity and personalities of the three protagonists.
|Michael De Santa||Michael is a retired bank robber, living under the protection of the FIB witness protection program. With his money running out, he is being drawn back into a life of crime.|
|Trevor Philips||Trevor is an emotionally unstable, sociopathic career criminal, suffering from drug addiction. He has previously worked with Michael in various heists, and has prior experience as a military pilot, allowing him to operate aircraft.|
|Franklin Clinton||Franklin is "fit and fashion conscious", working for an Armenian luxury car dealer, repossessing cars of those who default on their payments. He is starting to work his way up in the criminal world.|
Los Santos and the surrounding areas have been completely remade on a much larger and more detailed scale than in GTA San Andreas.
The world will be bigger than the total size of the worlds from GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA San Andreas combined.
Unusually, the entire map will be open to the player right from the start of the game, like in GTA Chinatown Wars, rather than being restricted to a small corner or island until the game permits you to continue. This is in keeping with GTA V's philosophy of letting you do whatever you want to do, rather than being forced to do certain things at a certain time in a certain way.
Named locations include: Vinewood, Little Seoul, Los Puerta Freeway, Vespucci Beach, Downtown, Del Perro Freeway, East Los Santos and Los Santos Bay. There is also expansive countryside including Mount Chiliad, a military base and coastline.
Notably, the game will continue to display distant mountains and buildings from the entire map, even many miles away. This is in contrast to GTA IV where only 1.5 kilometers of distance is rendered, and buildings suddenly appear when the player gets close. Now, even lights on buildings and streetlights from the opposite side of the map will be visible when high enough up, creating a much greater sense of the massive scale.
In addition to the multiple protagonists, GTA V will bring many new (and returning) features:
- Planes will return, and as Trevor Phillips is a former military pilot, he can fly them from the start of the game
- Also known to be in the game will be: bicycles, helicopters, airships/blimps, trucks, jetskis, convertible cars and freight trains
- Aircraft and exotic cars will be available from the start, but they will be challenging to obtain
- Weapons appear to be customisable, such as choosing paint jobs and adding optics and flashlights
- There are several modern-day or updated weapons in the game, including the IMI Tavor TAR-21, a Ruger MP-9, AK-47 and Mossberg 500
- The entire map will be open from the very start of the game
- The map is bigger than the total size of the worlds from GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA San Andreas combined
- The map is not a copy of that of GTA San Andreas, but a brand new city designed around LA, with some names reused from San Andreas
- The map contains the city of Los Santos plus masses of countryside including Mount Chiliad, a vast desert, forests, beaches and many communities
- The entire map will be visible from anywhere, instead of only rendering short distances. Even mountains and building lights from the far side of the map will be visible
- The city and surrounding areas appear to be thick with smog during late evening time
- Mines and wind turbines appear in the landscape
- There is a fully-operational 18-hole golf course
- The ocean floor can be fully explored
- There are 3 playable characters (protagonists) - Michael, Trevor Phillips and Franklin. The player can jump into another character at any time.
- Each protagonist will have its own storyline, and will continue its life in the background when not being controlled
- Some characters from the GTA IV Era will appear in the game, but not protagonists such as Niko Bellic
- Random Characters will appear in random places, with the player having the option to interact with them to start a side-mission
- Wildlife and animals will appear for the first time, including dogs who will guard restricted areas and will alert enemies of the player's presence.
- The Lost Brotherhood will be returning as seen in the second trailer. A group of The Lost MC members are seen chasing and shooting at protagonist Trevor Phillips as he escapes in a plane.
- There is no single-player co-op, but there will be co-op multiplayer
- Crews will be carried over from Max Payne 3 into Grand Theft Auto V's multiplayer.
In November 2011, Rockstar announced GTA V with the first trailer.
Throughout autumn 2012, Rockstar released a range of screenshots from GTA V.
In October 2012, retail posters and displays were leaked showing a release date of Spring 2013 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A PC date is not yet known. This was confirmed by a Facebook post from Rockstar
On 5 November 2012, Rockstar announced that GTA V is available to be pre ordered and released a "Beach Weather" PC wallpaper. Later that day they announced that a 2nd trailer will be shown on 14 Nov 12.
On 8 November 2012, GameInformer released a 23-page feature on GTA V, revealing masses of information including the three protagonists, the scale of the Los Santos map, and some hints into the feature changes. See /Game Informer for more information.
- For all GTA V screenshots, see: Category:Screenshots of GTA V
A beach with a dog.
A jet ski, marked Speedophile 2000.
Hikers at the base of a mountain near Los Santos.
Franklin in a convertible car retracting its roof.
Several wind power generators near Los Santos.
Michael overlooking the city.
The three protagonists attempt to rob a store dressed as exterminators; notice the accessories on the rifle.
A pumpjack on an oil well.
The Vinewood sign.
A Learjet-based plane (similar to a Shamal) flying over the city.
A new LSPD helicopter.
A peaceful waterside.
The redesigned Cheetah.
Michael flying a jet.
A man with a Parachute next to a mountain.
Three men racing on dirtbikes, possibly Sanchezes.
Two civilians playing tennis.
A man flying a stunt plane over a river.
A man aiming an "AK-47" at a police helicopter. The side gunner of the helicopter has a laser attachment on his weapon.
Trevor Phillips on a lifeguard jetski with a IMI Mini UZI.
Game Informer Screenshots
The three protagonists
Michael on a phone
Trevor Phillips on a dirtbike
- Trailer2-GTAV-17.03.55 1.png
- Trailer2-GTAV-17.04.25 1.png
- Trailer2-GTAV-17.04.45 3.png
- Trailer2-GTAV-17.04.50 1.png
- Trailer2-GTAV-17.04.51 1.png
- Trailer2-GTAV-17.04.56 1.png
Poster showing artwork with Trevor Phillips sitting on a quad bike holding a sniper rifle.
Artwork of Michael revealed in the GameInformer article.
Artwork of the three protagonists revealed in an IGN article on 13/11/12.
Hints and Speculation about GTA V
Prior to the official announcements, trailers and magazine features of Grand Theft Auto V, a large number of possible clues had been found in previous GTA games and elsewhere to indicate what may have been the setting and content of GTA V. Fans also made a number of educated guesses, and many rumours circulated the Internet. See Speculation of GTA V for a detailed list.
- Los Santos in GTA V
- Businesses in GTA V
- Weapons in GTA V
- Vehicles in GTA V
- GTA V Trailers
- Vice City in GTA IV Era & San Andreas in GTA IV Era - references to the locations of GTA III Era games in the GTA IV Era.
- Community:GTA V Wishlist - the Grand Theft Wiki Community's suggestions on what should be included in GTA V.
- Grand Theft Auto V - official website