| This is a record of a successful nomination to become Staff.
Please do not edit the nomination, questions or comments sections of this page. Discuss on the talk page if neccessary.
I nominate Hardrock182 to become a member of staff. His/Her edits are of consistant quality and has shown good knowledge of how the wiki works.
Hardrock182, please reply with whether you accept or decline this nomination, and why.
I appreciate and accept the nomination, as it essentially allows me to keep doing what i've been doing for the past few months - and in that time i have aquired a reasonable knowlege of how the this wiki works (how games are named within articles, categorisation, uploading and adding images to pages etc).
My only concern is that I'm not on here everyday, sometimes I am, other times I'm offline for a few days. However, in my opinion, that shouldn't present that much of a problem. Hardrock182 12:39, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
Do you think vandalism is a big problem at GTW? How would you deal with someone who did something like delete all the content on one page? What might be the possible reasons for them doing that? Gboyers talk 16:18, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
- Personally, I think vandalism isn't that much of a problem on this site, as it only seems to happen every couple of months. If vandalism were to occur however (and assuming I was the only user online), I would revert it and give them a warning - if the vandalism continued, I would have to report them to a staff member with the ability to block the user. As for the reasons people vandalise websites like this, I'd imagine that they simply do it for the 'lulz' - although there is the off chance that, what appears to be vandalism, may simply be a confused/inexperienced user (I think an incident like this occured a couple of months ago). Hardrock182 17:18, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
What do you think is the hardest thing for new editors to get the hang of (whether a technical skill, a policy or just the way we do things here); how would you spot they were having difficulty; and how would you help them? Maybe explain what was the hardest thing you've had to learn whilst being here? Gboyers talk 16:18, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
- I think the most difficult thing for a new user to learn is creating/editing/formatting an article - this was what seemed daunting to me at first (when I first joined I would simply correct errors and add general information). The easiest way to know if someone is having trouble is if they make numerous 'bad' edits to the same page - for example if they are trying to get an image to display properly. Upon seeing this I would either direct them to the help articles and/or provide help myself, or recommend that they use the 'Preview' button (if the problem is only minor). Hardrock182 17:18, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
Becoming staff isn't a reward for good edits. It's work that needs to be done on the wiki, so it's a job. Why do you think that you would be best for that job? Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 22:33, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
- Indeed, it's a job, and although I don't think I'm the 'best' for this job, I do know that when I add information to pages or simply correct a mistake, I do it to improve/clean up this wiki. I also understand how the wiki works and how we use the full name of a game when it is first mentioned in each respective article, further mentions of the game will then be shortened - e.g. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas would then become GTA San Andreas. All in all, I would say my contributions/edits are constructive and in good faith. Hardrock182 18:07, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
- Well, over the past few months, I worked on taking pictures of missing vehicles from various games ranging from GTA 1 to GTA San Andreas and I'm fairly happy with, both, how the pictures look and, obviously, that the vehicle articles now have pictures of the vehicles in question. There are still many images to be added, however. Hardrock182 18:07, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
Could you give one example of what you think is one of the best pages on this wiki, and a brief explanation of why you chose that. It should probably be an informational article, but you could use a list or category or similar if you explain why. Gboyers talk 00:45, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
- Any article which has information on vehicles such as the Stallion, Police Car or Taxi which have appeared in, pretty much, every GTA game to date, they have all the necessary information (appearance/handling/available side missions etc) and each of the games are seperated (police cars from the GTA III era aren't in the same section/paragraph as the GTA IV police cars for example). These articles also have pictures of the vehicles from each game in the series - in other words, they are complete. Hardrock182 18:07, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
I don't have much to say here because Hardrock mentioned it all his/her-self. This user's edits never need cleaning up. While patrolling, I leave this user until last, because there are other edits that may need cleanup. Hardrock182, How would you use the new tools (see here for a list) to help the wiki? Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 22:33, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
- Naturally, I would use the tools when the need arises, for example, moving a page if the original has an incorrect/misspelled title, or protecting a talk page if a dispute over an edit becomes a personal attack/'edit war' between users (Talk:Rustler being a perfect example of that). In essense, I would just use them for the benefit of the site. Hardrock182 18:12, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
People who agree with the nomination, comment here
- This user is obviously mature enough to be trusted with the responsibilities of being a Moderator. His focus is on the content of the wiki, rather than warning users. I think this user could become a good authority on style and effectively implement and communicate the policy of the wiki, and perhaps contribute to new policies. You don't have to be on all day every day to be Staff, so long as you keep up-to-date with changes, and try to do some work on some Tasks (staff or non-staff) when you're here. Unless there are any objections, I shall issue the promotion to Moderator. Gboyers talk 19:32, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
- I obviously support the promotion of Hardrock182 to staff, as otherwise I would not have made the nomination. Hardrock182 has shown good knowledge of how to edit the wiki and has contributed a great deal (through work on vehicle articles, in particularly those pre-GTA III). Hardrock182 seems to be aware of the Tasks and policies, helping in the current discussion at Talk:Uni-Tel. A-Dust 19:52, 12 January 2009 (UTC)
People who do not agree with the nomination, comment