|This page needs to be cleaned up to meet the standards of Grand Theft Wiki.|
Niko Bellic receiving a text from Dimitri Rascalov.
|Target||Dimitri's men & the kidnapper|
|Location||Bohan Industrial, Bohan|
|Fail||Dying, shooting or killing Roman, Stepping too close or taking too long to kill the kidnapper holding Roman|
|Reward||New Algonquin safehouse|
|Unlocks||Weekend at Florian's|
|Unlocked by||Have a Heart, Photo Shoot|
Once the player has completed Have a Heart and Photo Shoot, Niko Bellic will receive a call from Mallorie Bardas, who tells him that Roman has been kidnapped. Dimitri Rascalov sends a violent picture of Roman held at gunpoint which Niko mutters at (if you call Dimitri after reading the text, Niko will angrily curse at him, saying he will cut his fucking head off and threaten him).
Grab the Assault Rifle outside of the warehouse as extreme firepower is needed, especially in the warehouse which is full of cover, and guards. At first, the thugs will not notice you. Using the element of surprise, take a burst of shots at a group of enemies and aim for the heads. Take out every guard from the first floor while in cover. Some are in cover too, so go inside and finish them. Remember to always take cover, and try to kill any guards on upper floors too. Walk up the stairs to the second floor and look to your right. About five goons are hiding. Shoot them and use their cover to kill the rest of the people on the second floor. It is possible to shoot the fuel tanks that are out of the crate, causing a large scale explosion, ending any nearby enemies. There is a guard just before the stairs to the third floor, who will drop some well needed armour once killed, should you need it.
Make your way to the third floor and shoot the goons on the roof that become visible, one shot is enough to send them sliding and the fall will kill them. The last guard has heavy armor and will need several shots to kill. Walk into the last room after he is dead and a cutscene shows Roman Bellic and an unknown kidnapper emerge from the back of the room. The kidnapper has Roman in a chokeheld, with a gun to his head. Take cover, and quickly free aim at the killer's head. If you take too long, the kidnapper will fire at Niko, and eventually execute Roman. Use any gun, but the pistol is the safest, and shoot the kidnapper.
Once Roman Bellic is freed, a scene will play where Roman will thank Niko for his rescue. Follow Roman and get into the nearby Bobcat, and drive him to your safehouse in Bohan. Make sure the truck doesn't hit any explosive barrels near the warehouse as this will blow you up.
After this Roman reveals his gambling addiction and also a few in-game hours after you drop Roman off, he will call you to inform that he has purchased a new penthouse in Middle Park East, Algonquin to hide from Dimitri. You can now use that as your safehouse. Also because Roman is making a great deal of money, he's bought a new fleet of cabs for his Cab Service. Instead of the rusty old Esperantos, it's now black Cavalcades.
To reduce the number of enemies on the ground floor, do not approach the icon at the entrance to the factory; it will trigger a cutscene and force Niko to enter the building. Instead, stay well clear of the doors and equip the sniper rifle. It is possible to take out several targets if you're quick enough. The gun battle will then begin (the icon will disappear, meaning the cutscene is not shown). The gunmen will not exit the building, though you can get hit by bullets. Careful tossing of grenades through the doorway can reduce the enemy count further.
When you're ready to enter, do so and proceed through the mission as described above. Remember to duck, as there is no cutscene to automatically do this and you will still be targeted by gunmen above and in the further corners of the main level.
- The events in Hostile Negotiation mark one of the few links between the GTA IV storyline and its episodic counterparts. In this example, the events shortly prior to this mission are played through the perspective of Johnny Klebitz in The Lost and Damned episodic content. It is revealed that Johnny Klebitz kidnapped Roman because Ashley owed Dimitri's men a favor after acquiring a large debt. This side of the kidnap, the mission name is Roman's Holiday, and has Johnny and Malc kidnapping Roman after gambling at his usual spot and then taking him to the warehouse in Bohan's Industrial District.
- This mission, along with some other missions, is triggered automatically by a phone call.
- While talking to Roman after saving him, Niko will say that he gives Roman money; but Niko is never shown giving money to him before or after this point it is possible that this is featured in a cutscene in one of the Deleted Missions.
- This event is also briefly referenced in the original GTA IV storyline, in the form of Roman sending Niko a text explaining how a biker kidnapped him.
- Once you receive the picture message of Roman from Dimitri, Niko will talk furiously about him, saying; "You've crossed the line, Dimitri"!
- If you try to land on the roof of the warehouse with a helicopter, you will be shot by two guys standing on the roof with rocket launchers.
- The staircase where you will go down (after you have rescued Roman) can actually be used to speed up the mission (on the part when you are about to save him); instead of going to the yellow marker, go upstairs, then you will hear the dialogue of Roman and the captor (because you are already at the same floor with them, only that you are outside the warehouse). Most of the henchmen from inside the building will take aggressive action and go up the stairs as well, making them prone to gunfire and, therefore, easier to kill (they have no cover). So it makes the mission a killing spree instead of a takedown.
- An interesting phone call can take place if Niko calls Dimitri after he receives the photo of Roman. Niko will furiously describe how he will cut off Dimitri's face, and hang it on his wall to remind himself of what a treacherous, cheating scumbag looks like, then saying "Goodbye, friend." Niko calls him "friend" as a reference to Dimitri ending his own text messages to Niko with "Your friend, Dimitri."
- There is a Carbine Rifle in one of the rooms on the bottom floor of the warehouse.
- If you killed Ivan Bytchkov in the mission 'Ivan The Not So Terrible', a Russian-American goon will shout 'Say hello to Ivan the Terrible for me!" before being shot by Niko, possibly explaining Ivan had more connections with the Russian Mafia than previously known about.
- If you have Dwayne's special ability you can call him and he will send two of his guys round to help.
- As this mission is triggered by a phone call and not optionally triggered on the players own time by going to a location, it can be costly in terms of losing a prized vehicle, for example, if the mission triggers immediately following a date and before Niko can park at a safehouse and save. The game provides advance warning that the mission is coming by having Mallorie phone Niko a number of game hours prior to the mission expressing her concern that Roman never came home last night.
- Roman's Kidnapper without a released name - The kidnapper was executed when he was threatening Roman at gunpoint.
- A ton of Russian goons - Over 30 of Dimitri Rascalov's goons were supposed to kill Niko Bellic and Roman Bellic however failed when Niko came to rescue Roman.
The kidnapper talking to Roman Bellic.