The Hunter is a very deadly aircraft, having a self-targeting machine gun and the ability to shoot two unguided rockets at once. Like the other armed military vehicles, the Rhino and Hydra, it has infinite ammunition. The helicopter can be used as a vigilante vehicle, with its own set of side missions known as "Brown Thunder". In terms of damage to the helicopter, it is not bomb-proof/fire-proof/explosion-proof like the Rhino, but can survive long while being shot at.
- Note: While the Hunter appears as an aesthetically correct AH-64A 'Apache' in Vice City, for some reason Rockstar saw the need to make it more unrealistic by removing the gunner's cockpit as well as adding an obviously incorrect tail rotor for its appearance in San Andreas. The validation for these changes are unknown, and the Vice City Hunter stands as the definitive model.
- It can be obtained in GTA Vice City by either collecting 100 Hidden Packages (the early method) or completing the mission "Keep Your Friends Close". After doing either of these the helicopter will spawn at Fort Baxter Air Base.
- In GTA San Andreas it can be obtained on the aircraft carrier at the Easter Basin Naval Station, or if you complete all golds in flight school it will spawn at the Verdant Meadows airstrip, providing much easier access.
- In GTA Liberty City Stories it is only obtainable by a third-party trainer program, and is not seen at all throughout the game.
- In GTA Vice City Stories the Hunter will spawn at Escobar International Airport after completing all of the story missions.