Introduction (GTA III)
Two Securicars outside the Liberty City Bank branch.
|Location||A non-functional location|
|Unlocks||Give Me Liberty|
The introduction for Grand Theft Auto III is a series of introductory scenes played as a new game is started. Consisting of only non-interactive cutscenes, the player has only the option of skipping them and moving on to "Give Me Liberty", the first mission in the game.
The introduction opens with a shot of the Liberty City Bank, as a Banshee driven by Miguel zips by and stops in front of an adjoining alleyway to pick up a team of three bank robbers who have just robbed the bank: Catalina, Claude and an unnamed associate with Colombian Cartel attire. After shooting a security camera, Claude attempts to rejoin the other two, but learns Catalina has double crossed Claude by gunning him and the third accomplice down. This leaves Catalina and Miguel to feast on the spoils of the heist while Claude, slumped on the ground on the alleyway, survives but is arrested by the Liberty City Police Department. Catalina reveals her ambitions to rise up the ranks of the criminal world, but felt Claude was not up to par for her, hence the betrayal and decision to join Miguel's powerful Colombian Cartel gang instead. Claude's thirst for revenge on Catalina will become a part of the game's plot.
Custody and escape
Claude, now in police custody, is intended to transfer from police headquarters in Staunton to Liberty Penitentiary to serve out his 10-year jail sentence. Claude is to be taken there via a police convoy that is also transporting two other inmates: 8-Ball, following an arrest which left both his hands fully bandaged, and an oriental man of unknown origin, arrested for possessing no legal documents. While crossing the Callahan Bridge from Staunton to Portland, the convoy is ambushed by a well coordinated Colombian Cartel team, whose intention is to capture the oriental prisoner as ransom, seemingly caring little of the fate of the other prisoners. To ensure their escape, the team left a powerful bomb on the bridge, resulting in an explosion that damages the bridge and cuts Portland off from the rest of Liberty City.
During the ambush and explosion, Claude and 8-Ball manage to break free, but find they have nowhere else to go but Portland, leading up to the first mission of the game, "Give Me Liberty".
(The game begins with a scene where the main character and his partners rush out of Liberty City bank after having committed a robbery.)
Catalina: Sorry babe. I'm an ambitious girl. And you (shoots Claude), you're just small time.
(Catalina walks away.)
News Lady: Liberty city is in shock today, as the police and emergency services deal with the aftermath, of a devastating attack on a police convoy this morning. As yet, no details have been released about the prisoners being transferred in the convoy, and no proof has claimed responsibility. A convoy left police headquarters early this morning, for a routine transfer of felons, to the Liberty City penitentiary. The attack took place on the Callahan Bridge, leaving few witnesses, and the bridge itself, severely damaged. Some of the convicts are thought to have perished, in the explosion that followed the initial attack. Revelations as to the professionalism of the attack, struck police hours afterward, when identification of the missing felons were further hampered by an attack, by computer hackers on police headquarter databases. With the Porter tunnel-project falling behind schedule, this disaster leaves Portland isolated from the rest of the city.
(The Colombian Cartel stops the convoy that the main character is being transported in.)
Colombian Cartel: Come on! Señor dickhead! It's no problem to kill you. You gonna be sorry.
(The Colombians opens the convoy and frees someone. Clearly they were not after the main guy or 8-Ball, but they see their chance of escaping.)
Colombian Cartel: A'right, a'right. Get lost.
(8-ball and the main man knocks the policemen down and leaves the convoy. The Cartel blows the bridge up.)
- The bank scene takes place in a non-functional location originally confused as being within Liberty City itself. The set is situated far west from Shoreside Vale, and is only accessible by way of the Dodo under normal circumstances. The bank was supposedly located in Shoreside Vale, in the location of the airport (which the airport was located in Staunton Island before), as seen in beta pictures and drawings.
- The vehicles involved during the police convoy ambush scene are driverless.
- If the cheat code, destroy all cars, is inserted during the cutscene, all vehicles will explode and still continue to drive. This can also be done with other cutscene that includes cars.
- The Colombian Cartel members who kidnap the Old Oriental Gentleman in the introduction do not wear hawaiian shirts.
- Miguel drives a Banshee for a getaway car, which is strange as there are four people in the group and a Banshee has only two seats. This could be hinting Catalina's betrayal.
- The Colombian Cartel immediately become hostile after the cutscene (and at the beginning of the game).