- "Sentinal" redirects here. For the other car, see Sentinel.
Rear quarter view)|
A Kuruma in GTA III.
GTA Liberty City Stories]]
|Vehicle type||Civilian car|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
The word "kuruma" means "automobile" in Japanese (車), which may suggest that the car is of Japanese origin. However, the car is loosely based on a 1998–2004 Dodge Intrepid; For GTA Liberty City Stories, the Kuruma has slight cosmetic changes to make it look like a generic Japanese sedan during the late 90's, the front appearing to resemble a 1994–1997 Honda Accord. It comes with colored or uncolored (gray) bumpers and trims, giving it the appearance of an economy car .
The Kuruma is the first car made available to the player in both GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories, in the missions "Give Me Liberty" and "Home Sweet Home", respectively, probably due to the fact that it handles relatively neutrally. When originally introduced in GTA III, the car is not seen driven on the streets of Portland Island, but is parked in various locations in the island; in GTA Liberty City Stories, the car is present in Portland traffic.
During development of GTA III, the Kuruma was originally known as the "Sentinal", not to be confused by the Sentinel, another sedan in the final version of the same game, in which it was previously known as the "Beamer" during development. Prior to the game's release, the Kuruma is presumed to have been renamed, while the "Sentinal" name found its way into the Beamer, resulting in the Beamer being renamed the "Sentinel".
The Kuruma is powered by a small, yet gutsy, engine, most likely a four-cylinder, channeled to the front wheels. Whilst the engine is powerful enough to propel the light Kuruma to high straight line speeds, the front wheel drive layout causes understeer. Players may therefore favour using the handbrake to swing round turns at high speed.
The Kuruma possesses almost identical handling properties to the GTA III rendition of the Taxi.
- The Kuruma has appeared as both a wreck and a working car in Manhunt and Manhunt 2, respectively (see also Kuruma article at Wikihunt).
- The Kuruma is referenced in an episode of CBS crime drama "NCIS" where a witness tells Agent McGee that a getaway car was a "Kuruma", and later explains to his confused superiors: "Kuruma is the name of a car in Grand Theft Auto III. It’s a Chrysler Sebring sedan."
- The Kuruma is the first car you get to drive in GTA III and GTA LCS.
- GTA III
- Head Radio Studio, Hepburn Heights, Portland Island.
- Greasy Joe's Café, Callahan Point, Portland Island.
- Docks, Portland Harbor, Portland Island.
- Momma's Restaurant, Saint Mark's, Portland Island.
- Capital Autos, Harwood, Portland Island.
- In a car park, near the apartments, in Wichita Gardens, Shoreside Vale.
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Parked outside Vincenzo's warehouse in Atlantic Quays, Portland Island. The car is uniquely black.
- In Saint Mark's, parked where you dropped off the drugs for Salvatore from the Cartel in the mission Contra-Banned.
- Spawns regularly on all three islands.
- Easy Credit Autos, Harwood, Portland Island.