Kyle MacLachlan (born February 22, 1959, in Yakima, Washington) is a Golden Globe award winner American actor. He is a graduate of the University of Washington and moved to Hollywood, California to pursue his career soon after his 1982 graduation.
MacLachlan has worked extensively with director David Lynch. He first appeared as Paul Atreides in the film Dune, Lynch's adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune and as Jeffrey Beaumont in Blue Velvet. Later he played Special Agent Dale Cooper in Lynch's ABC television series Twin Peaks, reprising that role for Lynch's 1992 prequel Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Lynch commented on those roles in a GQ story about MacLachlan:
'Kyle plays innocents who are interested in the mysteries of life. He's the person you trust enough to go into a strange world with.'
In the 1993 film version of Franz Kafka's The Trial, MacLachlan played the lead role of the persecuted Josef K. He also had a recurring role in the American television series Sex and the City, portraying Dr. Trey MacDougal, the one-time husband of Charlotte York (Kristin Davis). He portrayed the spirit of Cary Grant in Touch of Pink. Most noteworthy to critics was his uncanny ability to capture the nuances of Grant's mannerisms. MacLachlan also lent his voice to media mogul Donald Love in the video game Grand Theft Auto III. Although he did not reprise the role in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.
In 1995 MacLachlan starred in Paul Verhoeven's Showgirls. The movie was universally panned by critics as one of the worst ever made and it collected seven Golden Raspberry Awards (from a record thirteen nominations). MacLachlan himself was deeply embarrassed with his involvement and infamously walked out of the film's premiere. It did not seriously damage his career, unlike co-star Elizabeth Berkley, whose career was arguably ruined beyond repair.
MacLachlan has appeared in several plays, including John Kolvenbach's On an Average Day with Woody Harrelson, on Broadway in The Caretaker with Patrick Stewart, as well as in Romeo and Juliet, and the Shakespearean history Henry V.
After starring in the short-lived In Justice, MacLachlan has become a regular on the hit show Desperate Housewives. (His character first appeared in the second-season episode "Don't Look at Me").
MacLachlan was born in Yakima, Washington. He is married, and lives in Manhattan with his wife and their two small dogs (a Jack Russell Terrier and a Yorkie/Chihuahua mix). Blaming it on 'probably too much affection', the couple have created a website about their dogs. Mookie and Sam also have a "TV show".
Film and television work
- Dune (1984) (as Paul Atreides)
- Blue Velvet (1986)
- The Hidden (1987)
- Dream Breakers (1989)
- Twin Peaks (1990–1991) (as Agent Dale Cooper)
- Don't Tell Her It's Me (1990)
- The Doors (1991) (as Ray Manzarek)
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) (as Agent Dale Cooper)
- Where the Day Takes You (1992)
- Tales From the Crypt (1992)
- Rich in Love (1993)
- The Trial (1993) (as Josef K.)
- Roswell [TV] (1994)
- Against the Wall [TV] (1994)
- Showgirls (1995)
- The Flintstones (1995)
- The Trigger Effect (1996)
- Mad Dog Time (1996)
- Thunder Point (1996)
- Moonshine Highway (1996)
- One Night Stand (1997)
- Route 9 [TV] (1998)
- The Spring [TV] (2000)
- Sex and the City: Seasons 03-05 (2000–2002)
- Timecode (2000)
- XChange (2000)
- Hamlet (2000) (as King Claudius)
- Perfume (2001)
- Me Without You (2001)
- Grand Theft Auto III (2001)(voice) (as Donald Love)
- Miranda (2002)
- Northfork]] (2003)
- Touch of Pink (2004) (as Cary Grant)
- The Librarian: Quest for the Spear [TV] (2004)
- Mysterious Island [TV] (2005)
- In Justice [TV] (2006)
- Free Jimmy (2006)
- Desperate Housewives: Season 02 (2006-present)
- 1992 story about MacLachlan published in GQ.
- The Caretaker from the Internet Broadway Database
- 'Desperate Housewives': Kyle MacLachlan joins the cast, a March 2006 Entertainment Weekly article.
- January 20, 2006 transcript from Showbiz Tonight