The M249 is a heavy assault weapon featured in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (where it replaces the M60 from GTA Vice City to better suit the game's chronology) and The Ballad of Gay Tony. It is based on the real life M249 SAW.
GTA Vice City Stories
In GTA Vice City Stories, the weapon is a powerful, one shot kill gun that holds 100 rounds per magazine, but is slightly less effective than the Minigun. Unlike the M60 from GTA Vice City and GTA Liberty City Stories, the M249 has an unique firing and reloading animation, no longer copied from the assault rifle animation.
The Ballad Of Gay Tony
The M249 in The Ballad of Gay Tony (referred to as the Advanced MG) is the first machine gun to be featured in the GTA IV era. The weapon is placed in the Assault Rifle slot, unlike in the GTA III Era where the M249 would occupy the Heavy Weapons slot.
It has a 200 round magazine capacity and high rate of fire but has less stopping power than the Assault and Carbine Rifles and is less accurate due to the weapon being fired from the hip rather than the shoulder, making headshots more difficult. Unlike GTA III era machine guns, which can destroy vehicles in just a few rounds, the Advanced MG in TBoGT requires sustained fire to destroy a vehicle. The weapon is best suited for engaging multiple enemies at close to medium ranges.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories features the M249E1 version, while the one featured in TBOGT is the M249E2 version.
- The M249E2 SAW was originaly included in Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas, the files of this can be found in the PS2 version.
- GTA Vice City Stories
- At the InterGlobal Films studio in the first studio directly northwest of the entrance.
- Spawns at each safehouse after shooting all 99 red balloons.
- The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Given to the player in Going Deep.
- Available from Armando's gun van after said mission for $7,550, plus $400 for each additional ammo belt.
- Spawns in Safehouse after completing 20 Drug Wars and completing Going Deep.