|Full Name||Manuel Escuela|
|Date of Birth||1973|
|Place of Birth||South Bohan, Liberty City|
|Date of Death||2008|
|Age at Death||35|
Spanish Lord's Cavalcade (In Escuela of the Streets)|
Grey Faggio (pictured in the trailer)
|Voiced by||Berto Colon|
Manuel 'Manny' Escuela (1973—2008) was a character in Grand Theft Auto IV. He was a 35 year-old Puerto Rican ex-convict who had apparently changed his ways, and wanted to clean up the streets of Bohan.
Manny Escuela was Puerto Rican who grew up in South Bohan. He was a former gangster and heroin addict, but had now changed his ways. He claimed that he owed too much to the "streets" and wanted to clean them up to settle his debt to society. However, he had also hired a cameraman, Jay Hamilton, to film his quest, leading many to believe that he was only interested in becoming famous. His efforts were publicized enough that he was honored by city officials and was awarded the key to the city by the mayor. He operated out of the St. Mary's Recreational Center where he ran a youth outreach program and also was a dance instructor.
Manny was eventually introduced to Niko Bellic by Manny's childhood friend Mallorie Bardas. Rather than personally clean up Bohan himself, Escuela paid Niko, who was broke, to do the dirty work for him. Niko drives around town exterminating drug dealers under the request of Escuela, who arrived afterward with a camera crew to take credit. In an attempt to make his show more believable, he meets corrupt cop Francis McReary. Francis even appears in one of Escuela's videos.
Escuela was well-known in South Bohan, but generally disliked by most characters Niko interacts with. Even Niko is beyond irritated by Escuela's antics and ridiculous claims. At one point Escuela even took credit for the creation of rap, despite his obvious lack of skill, and implies he refused to continue because of his distaste with commercialization.
Escuela's annoying habit of filming finally went too far when he attempted to film a confrontation with another "community leader" of sorts, drug empress Elizabeta Torres. Niko goes to visit Elizabeta, but Manny and Jay arrive to tell her to stop selling drugs. However, with the police closing in on her operations, she is in a paranoid, cocaine-fueled rage and executes both Manny and Jay, shooting Escuela in the eye. She then pays Niko to deliver the bodies to a black market organ dealer, the dealer states the organs will help a lot of people, Niko says "He'd been trying to help the streets his whole life... maybe he'll be actually doing it now."
LCPD Database record
First name: Manny
Place of birth: South Bohan
Affiliations: Linked to the Spanish Lords
- 1994 - Fraud
- 1997 - Possession Controlled Substance: Heroin
Wanted For: Possession Controlled Substance
- South Bohan based fraudster and drug dealer.
- Former member of the Spanish Lords
- Reinvented himself as a community leader and started a youth center.
- Suspected in assaults against criminals around his neighborhood.
- GTA IV
- His last name, Escuela, means "school" in Spanish.
- A mural depicting Manny can be seen in Bohan in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.
- In The Ballad of Gay Tony, Manny's inexplicable disappearance is referenced by Troy (the doorman of Hercules). He says to Luis Lopez, "They're going to make a show about me! Can you believe it! Well originally they were going to make a show about some Puerto Rican guy in Bohan but he disappeared."
- Like most characters in the game, Manny will don a unique helmet when riding alongside the protagonist on a motorbike. His helmet is one of black with orange, and yellow stripes that matches his outfit.
- Manny mentions during one mission that he aspires to be "like one of them rich guys who makes computers and cures AIDS and shit", a tongue-in-cheek nod to Bill Gates and his charity.
- One of the many charity events he runs is a "Tex-Mex" cooking class, as seen in the opening cutscene for Street Sweeper.
- Like Vlad Glebov, his police record status is "Missing".
- In Rockstar's new game, "Red Dead Redemption", there is a character named Javier Escuella. He may be an ancestor of Manny's.