GTA III |
GTA San Andreas
GTA Liberty City Stories
|Full Name||Maria Latore|
Salvatore's Gentlemen's Club in Saint Mark's, Liberty City
An apartment in Saint Mark's
Asuka Kasen's Condo in Newport, Liberty City
Salvatore Leone (husband)|
Joey Leone (step son)
Salvatore Leone (1992 - 2001)|
Joey Leone (until 2001)
Leone Family (until 2001)
Toni Cipriani (until 2001)
Cedric Fotheringay (until 1998)
Asuka Kasen (until 2001)
Yakuza (until 2001)
Debi Mazar (GTA III & GTA San Andreas)|
Fiona Gallagher (GTA Liberty City Stories)
Maria Latore (also credited as Maria La Torra) is a character in the 3D Universe who appears as a main character in Grand Theft Auto III (set in 2001), a minor character in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (set in 1992) and a supporting character in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (set in 1998). She is the estranged wife of Leone Family Don Salvatore Leone and step mother to his son, Joey. She is voiced in GTA III and GTA San Andreas by Debi Mazar, who has also appeared in shows such as Entourage and Civil Wars, while in GTA Liberty City Stories she was voiced by Fiona Gallagher.
Life until 1998
Maria Latore was born in an unknown location, quite possibly in San Andreas, and later moved to Las Venturas to become a waitress at the Sindacco Family run Caligula's Palace casino. Later, after the Leone and Forelli families invested money into the casino, she met Salvatore Leone and started a relationship with him. At some point between 1992 and 1998, she married Salvatore and moved into his home in Liberty City, before getting her own apartment in the same neighbourhood.
In 1998 Maria and Salvatore's marriage was at rock bottom, with both of them not living together and Maria becoming addicted to drugs. She had also begun cheating on Salvatore with Biker leader Cedric "Wayne" Fotheringay, something that Salvatore was well aware of and often used in their arguments. She attempted to sell Leone Family secrets to Ned Burner through e-mails, although the two never reached an agreement on a price. Toni Cipriani was then assigned to chaperone her, something that often resulted in him rescuing her from trouble, including: helping her after she shoplifted three local stores, 'winning' her in a street race, killing her abusive boyfriend, and saving her life after a drug overdose. During this period, she expressed a romantic interest towards Toni (who avoided her advances), an interest that ended when Maria realized that he had no money.
Life until 2001
In 2001, her relationship with Salvatore remains at rock bottom, but the two are seemingly living together again. She is introduced to Claude, who she calls "Fido", through Salvatore, who asks him to chaperone her for an evening, something that results in Maria forcing Claude to take her to her dealer, and afterwards being chased out of a party by the police. Maria later tells Salvatore that she and Claude began dating, and as a result, Salvatore attempts to kill Claude with a bomb-laden car. Maria, however, had alerted Claude and asked him to meet her at a small dock in Callahan Point. She then introduced him to her old friend Asuka Kasen, and the three fled to Staunton Island.
Asuka later hired Claude to kill Salvatore, resulting in Maria becoming a widow. Maria and Asuka engaged in various activities such as going on a holiday to avoid a paparazzi and shopping. Maria and Asuka eventually tortured Miguel together to extract information about the Colombian Cartels operations. Catalina, however, killed Asuka and Miguel, kidnapping Maria and taking her to Shoreside Vale, demanding Claude to pay a $500,000 ransom. Claude paid the ransom at the Cartels headquarters but was ambushed by the Cartel. Claude killed the Cartel members and followed Catalina to Cochrane Dam, destroying her helicopter with a rocket launcher and rescuing Maria. The two walked away from the scene, with Maria nervously talking while the screen faded to black, and the sound of a gunshot soon following.
Maria has a high self-esteem but low self-control, something that becomes apparent with her spent of Salvatore's money, drug usage and shoplifting. In addition to being a nymphomaniac, she is also very dominating, and perceives Salvatore's most trusted henchmen as lapdogs that should do her bidding, and calling them "Fido" (as it is the case with Claude in GTA III and Toni Cipriani in GTA Liberty City Stories).
- It is possible that Claude has either killed Maria or just fired in the air to make her stop talking. Rockstar Games prefers to keep this ambiguous, so the interpretation of what actually happened is up to the player. On December 15, 2011 Rockstar stated via the Newswire that "We're not sure about this. Some think he did, and some think he didn’t. Certainly in an original version of the script, Maria had a longer, really annoying speech, but then someone in the audio department wisely put an end to that. Quite what that means for Maria, who can say."
- In Grand Theft Auto III, Maria can be heard discussing Claude through Chatterbox FM, stating that "he doesn't talk too much". Due to the radios being looped, this can be heard at any point during the game, even before Claude actually meets her.
- Again in Chatterbox, Maria talks about her interest in leopard skin furniture. She seems fond of it, as the only time she doesn't wear anything with leopard print is during her appearance in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Maria Latore is listed as Maria La Torra in the credits for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Maria is brunette, but her artwork for GTA Liberty City Stories depicts her as a blonde.
- As can be seen in the mission "Biker Heat" in GTA Liberty City Stories, Maria is a fan of Love Fist; she has a poster of them on the wall above her bed.
- GTA III
- Last Requests
- Sayonara Salvatore
- Payday For Ray (Voice)
- The Exchange (Possible Death)
- GTA San Andreas
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Rockstar Games Newswire
- [Top Story] Grand Theft Auto III: Your Questions Answered – Part One (Claude, Darkel & Other Characters), Rockstargames.com