[[Appearance::Grand Theft Auto III|
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories]]
|Full Name||Maria Latore|
Maria La Torra
|Date of Death||[[Error: Invalid time.|Possibly October 2001]][[DOD::Possibly October 2001| ]]|
Las Venturas, San Andreas|
Salvatore's Gentlemen's Club, Saint Mark's, Portland, Liberty City
Maria's Apartment, Saint Mark's, Portland, Liberty City
Salvatore Leone (estranged husband, deceased)|
Joey Leone (step son)
Cedric Fotheringay (former boyfriend, deceased)
Salvatore Leone (1992 - 2001)|
Joey Leone (until 2001)
Leone Family (until 2001)
Toni Cipriani (until 2001)
Cedric Fotheringay (until 1998)
Asuka Kasen (until 2001)
Yakuza (until 2001)
Debi Mazar (GTA III & GTA San Andreas)|
Fiona Gallagher (GTA Liberty City Stories)
Maria Latore (also credited as Maria La Torra) is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series who appears as a main character in Grand Theft Auto III (set in 2001), a minor character in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (set in 1992) and a supporting character in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (set in 1998). She is the estranged wife of Leone Family Don Salvatore Leone and step mother to his son, Joey. She is voiced in GTA III and GTA San Andreas by Debi Mazar, who has also appeared in shows such as Entourage and Civil Wars, while in GTA Liberty City Stories she was voiced by Fiona Gallagher.
Life until 1998
Maria Latore was born in an unknown location, quite possibly in San Andreas, and later moved to Las Venturas and became a waitress at the Sindacco Family run Caligula's Palace casino. Later, after the Leone and Forelli families invest money into the casino, she meets and begins a relationship with Leone Don Salvatore Leone. At some point between 1992 and 1998 she marries Salvatore and moves into his home in Liberty City, before moving out into her own apartment in the same neighbourhood.
In 1998, Maria and Salvatore's marriage is at rock bottom with the two not getting along and living separately, while Maria had become addicted to drugs. She had also begun to cheat on Salvatore, including with Biker leader Cedric "Wayne" Fotheringay, something that Salvatore was well aware of and often used in arguments. She attempted to sell Leone Family secrets to Ned Burner through e-mails, although the two never reached an agreement on a price. Toni Cipriani is assigned to chaperone her, often resulting in Toni rescuing her from trouble, including: helping her after she robbed three local stores, 'winning' her in a street race, killing Fortheringay after he attacked her, and saving her life after she overdosed. She shows romantic feelings toward Toni, who constantly declines her requests, although it takes a realisation that Toni has no money before she decided to stay with Salvatore: "I'm Salvatore's girl! He's loaded!"
Life until 2001
In 2001 she remains married to Salvatore Leone and has seemingly moved back in with him, although their relationship is remained at rock bottom, with Maria only remaining with Salvatore for his money. She is introduced to Claude, who she calls "Fido", by Salvatore who asks him to chaperone her for an evening. Maria, still addicted to drugs, has Claude take her to drug dealer Chico, who informed her of an illegal party at a warehouse in Atlantic Quays. Claude took her to the party and successfully managed to return her to Salvatore's home after being chased by the Liberty City Police Department. Maria later tells Salvatore that she and Claude had entered into a relationship, resulting in Salvatore attempting to kill Claude with a bomb-laden car. Maria, however, paged Claude and had him meet her at a small dock in Callahan Point. She introduced Claude to her old friend Asuka Kasen and the three fled to Staunton Island.
Asuka later hired Claude to kill Salvatore, resulting in Maria becoming a widow. Maria and Asuka engaged in various activities such as going on a holiday to avoid a paparazzi and shopping. Maria and Asuka eventually tortured Miguel together to extract information about the Colombian Cartels operations. Catalina, however, killed Asuka and Miguel, kidnapping Maria and taking her to Shoreside Vale, demanding Claude pay a $500,000 ransom. Claude paid the ransom at the Cartels headquarters but was ambushed by the Cartel. Claude killed the Cartel members and followed Catalina to Cochrane Dam, destroying her helicopter with a rocket launcher and rescuing Maria. The two begin to walk away from the scene with Maria talking continuously as the screen fades to black, at which point a gunshot is heard.
Maria is secure about her looks, although she has no control over herself, using drugs (and at one point almost overdosing) and spending a lot of Salvatore's money. Despite her ability to get money, she also shoplifts, leaving the trouble to either Salvatore or Toni Cipriani. She is also very dominating, a nymphomaniac, and perceives Salvatore's most trusted henchmen as lapdogs that do her bidding, calling them "fido" (as is the case with Claude in GTA III and Toni Cipriani in GTA Liberty City Stories).
- Maria's fate is left ambiguous after the events of GTA III by Rockstar Games. On December 15, 2011 Rockstar stated via Newswire that "We're not sure about this. Some think he did, and some think he didn’t. Certainly in an original version of the script, Maria had a longer, really annoying speech, but then someone in the audio department wisely put an end to that. Quite what that means for Maria, who can say. "
- Maria can be heard of Chatterbox FM in Grand Theft Auto III discussing Claude, stating that "he don't talk too much". This appearance appears throughout the game, including before she meets Claude and after her possible death, due to the radio stations being played on a loop.
- Maria holds an interest in leopard skin furniture, which she references on Chatterbox FM in GTA III and is evident in her clothing in GTA Liberty City Stories.
- Maria Latore is listed as Maria La Torra in the credits for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- The only time Maria doesn't wear anything with leopard print is in her appearance in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Maria is brunette but her artwork for GTA Liberty City Stories depicts her as a blonde.
- It is possible that Claude ends up killing Maria at the end of GTA III during the final cutscene. Maria is talking non-stop and as the screen fades out, a gunshot will go off and Maria will immediately stop. This is either to kill her or to just shut her up.
- GTA III
- Last Requests
- Sayonara Salvatore
- Payday For Ray (Voice)
- The Exchange (Possible Death)
- GTA San Andreas
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Ho Selecta!
- Shop 'Til You Strop (Boss)
- Taken For A Ride (Boss)
- Booby Prize (Boss)
- Biker Heat (Boss)
- Overdose of Trouble (Boss)
- The Trouble with Triads
Concept artwork for GTA Liberty City Stories
Concept artwork of Maria Latore for GTA III