One of the most powerful weapons in the Grand Theft Auto series, the minigun is based off various US minigun models. The Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City renditions are based off a man portable version of the M134 Minigun, while the Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories version is based off the M197 tri-barreled Gatling. It has an insane rate of fire and can annihilate most vehicles in almost less than a second around a certain radius. In Vice City, the minigun was perfect for mowing down targets level with the player, however, it could not be aimed manually. Instead, it shoots upwards automatically to e.g. helicopters, similar to the Rhino. In San Andreas, thanks to the new aiming system, the minigun could be pointed in any direction, making shooting higher targets much easier, but also dangerous if the helicopter would crash into the ground and explode dangerously close to the player. It is almost 100% accurate as there is no recoil, but it can't lock on to a target. In GTA Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, the player can both lock onto a target and shoot manually with the minigun. Grand Theft Auto Advance also featured the minigun. On Grand Theft Auto IV there is 4 Miniguns attached to the Annihilator.
The M61 Vulcan is a 20 mm hydraulically or pneumatically driven, six-barreled, air-cooled, electrically fired Gatling-style cannon with an extremely high rate of fire. It has been the principal cannon armament of United States military aircraft for five decades. The M61 was originally produced by General Electric, and after several mergers and acquisitions is currently produced by General Dynamics.
GTA Vice City
- Little Haiti - On the top floor of the remains of the drug processing plant west of the Little Haiti Well Stacked Pizza Co. after completion of Trojan Voodoo.
- Little Haiti - Available to buy from Phil's Place after completion of Boomshine Saigon ($10,000).
- Spawns inside the Ocean View Hotel after collecting 60 packages.
GTA San Andreas
- On top of the southern arch of the Kincaid Bridge. But the minigun is inaccessable until San Fierro is unlocked. You would soon see why.
- Inside Mike Toreno's ranch at Tierra Robada after completing Vertical Bird.
- On the bottom-most level of an underground parking garage in northeast Las Venturas
- On top of some scaffolding in the building site in south Las Venturas (jetpack needed, unless you're skilled at jumping and climbing)
- Inside the restricted Area 69 labs in a control room. In the Black Project mission you get to go there without attaining a wanted level but unfortunately there will be high security, search lights and military personnel with M4 carbines & 9mm pistols. At all other times, if you enter the restricted area you get a 5 star wanted level, but can't enter the underground facility at all.