The Molotov Cocktail is an incendiary weapon, used to set a small area on fire. It is based on the real-life "home-made" molotov cocktail, which is prepared by inserting a rag into a partially filled liquor bottle, allowing the rag to "wick up" the flammable alcohol or other volatile liquid within. This causes the soaked rag to become flammable itself, allowing it to be lit on fire. Because the fumes from the flammable liquid (which are actually what catches fire, not the liquid itself) are contained within the bottle, full ignition does not occur until the glass container is ruptured, allowing the fumes to escape. This normally happens upon impact of the molotov against a hard surface, after being thrown. It can set a group of pedestrians on fire or light a car's engine on fire, causing it to explode. Victims on foot will catch fire and die if close enough to the flames. Use of the molotov will normally result in at least a 1-star wanted level. It proves to be one of the most deadly weapons for the player when used at close range, and is difficult to find in GTA III, although more common in the later games. It is one of only two weapons which can destroy a tank, the other being a Flamethrower. In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories the molotov is more effective and can destroy a vehicle rapidly fast after one cocktail being thrown at the vehicle.
In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, the player can use the touch screen to throw Moltov Cocktails at a distance in any direction. Huang Lee can go to petrol stations marked in the radar to fill up bottles of gasoline to use as Molotov Cocktails. A minigame is associated to this with the player using the touch screen to aim the gas nozzle to the bottle and shoving a cloth into the bottle.
GTA Vice City
- Downtown - At the Tacopalypse restaurant across the street east of the Hyman Condo.
GTA San Andreas
- Vinewood, Los Santos - To the right of the Express Hobos Limited diner in the northeast portion (directly west of the 24/7).
- Ocean Docks, Los Santos - To the right of a short street that connects to Los Santos International Airport, underneath a building.
- East Los Santos, Los Santos - In an alleyway , north of Cluckin' Bell.
- Ganton, Los Santos - Inside the kitchen of the Johnson House after spraying all 100 tags.
- Palomino Creek, Red County - At the southwest corner of the rooftop of the red brick building at the southwest edge of town.
- Flint County - If you date Helena Wankstein, you can gain access to here tool shed in Flint Range. A Molotov Cocktail is one of those weapons inside the shed.
- Creek, Las Venturas - At the shopping center, on the roof at the very southern edge.
- Come-A-Lot, Las Venturas - At the north end of the, on the roof of the tan brick building at the southwest corner of the intersection one block east of The Camel's Toe pyramid.
- Fort Carson, Bone County - Next to the dumpster behind the P Hat Liquor store at the south end of town.
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA Vice City Stories
Molotov Cocktails can be purchased at the back-alley gun shops for $500. They can also be purchased from Little Jacob for $350.
- Firefly Island - Can be found in the rest area near the Memory Lanes bowling alley.
- Firefly Projects - Can be found on the west side of the projects off Cokanuk Ave.
- BOABO - Can be found in an underground dock on the water's edge off Chicory St. This pickup is relatively difficult to obtain due to its location.
- East Borough Bridge - Can be found on top of the steel superstructure before the Bohan off-ramp.
- Northwood - Can be found in a loading dock near the water's edge off Ivy Drive North.
- Westminster - Can be found on the catwalk overlooking the helipad on the water. This helipad is where Niko steals the helicopter during the mission Dust Off.
- Acter - Can be found in a grassy area next to a tree behind some houses north of Moog St.