GTA III |
GTA Vice City
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA Vice City Stories
|Full Name||Phil Cassidy|
|Aliases||Phil, The One Armed Bandit|
Trailer in Little Haiti, Vice City
Rockford, Staunton Island, Liberty City
Louise Cassidy-Williams (sister, deceased)|
Mary-Jo Cassidy (sister)
Mary-Beth Williams (niece)
Marty Williams (brother-in-law, deceased)
Trailer Park Mafia (until 1984)|
Jerry Martinez (until 1984)
Victor Vance (1984 - 1986)
Lance Vance (1984 - 1986)
Tommy Vercetti (from 1986)
Ken Rosenberg (1986)
Hilary King (until 1986)
Cam Jones (1986)
Toshiko Kasen (until 1998)
Phil's Army Surplus (GTA III)|
Phil's Place (GTA Vice City)
Phil Cassidy's Fully Cocked Gun Shop (GTA Liberty City Stories)
Phil's Depot (Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories)
Hunter Platin (GTA III)|
Gary Busey (GTA Vice City/GTA Vice City Stories)
Uncredited (GTA Liberty City Stories)
In all appearances, Phil is featured as a heavy artillery arms dealer, selling the protagonist military-style weaponry which can devastate easily, such as Grenades, Rocket Launchers, Miniguns, etc. He claims to have served in the military; however, it is been revealed that he was never in the army. One of Phil's most notable features is his one arm - in GTA III he claims to have lost it in Nicaragua, but GTA Vice City reveals that he lost it in a pyrotechnics accident while drunk.
Phil claims to have been in the army and fought in Vietnam and Nicaragua before being discharged sometime around 1983-84. However, he was frequently rejected because of drunkenness and temperament, and when interviewed by Jenny Mitchell he admits he was dishonorably discharged from the catering corps (as seen on the Vice City Stories website). Ray Machowski claims Phil is his "army buddy" from Nicaragua, though Ray likely met him via the catering corps.
Phil's been featured as a heavy drinker. He distills his own alcohol, a dangerous and highly explosive drink known as "Boomshine" which Phil started distilling and selling in Vice City around 1984. Phil says during a phone conversation with Tommy Vercetti that due to his heavy Boomshine drinking, he is blind in his left eye.
GTA Vice City Stories (1984)
In Phil's first chronological appearance, he is introduced to Victor Vance through Sergeant Jerry Martinez. Phil is Jerry's gun dealer. Jerry sends Vic to help Phil get rid of some Cholos giving him trouble. Through Phil, Vic meets Phil's sister Louise Cassidy-Williams and Phil's brother-in-law Marty Jay Williams.
After completing some jobs for Marty and eventually killing him because he tried to pimp Louise, Vic returns with Phil and saves him from Jerry's goons who want to finish him for betraying Jerry. After was being saved by Vic, Phil promises to stay sober from now on; however, he begins to drink again when Armando Mendez kills Louise. Phil, wanting revenge with the Mendez Brothers, gets drunk and blows up the entrance of Fort Baxter Air Base so Vic can steal a Hunter helicopter to attack the Mendez compound.
In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Phil is sporting a handlebar mustache. Between 1984 and 1986, he has shaved this off.
GTA Vice City (1986)
In his next appearance, Tommy Vercetti hires Phil to pull off a bank robbery in the mission The Shootist. Phil is the one who suggests Tommy should employ Hillary King as a getaway driver in the mission The Driver. After the robbery (The Job), Phil invites Tommy to work for him in order to get been fixed with firepower. After Tommy kills Phil's rival gun dealer Pedro Garcia, a drunken Phil invites Tommy over to check out a Boomshine bomb he had set up, wired to a remote detonator. The remote doesn't work the first time, so Phil changes its batteries for fresh ones sitting beside the bomb. Now standing one meter away from the powerful explosive, in inebriated carelessness, he accidently squeezes the remote's trigger, detonating the bomb and blowing off his own arm. Tommy drives Phil to an ex-army surgeon to be patched up.
Gary Busey voiced Phil for the first time.
GTA Liberty City Stories (1998)
GTA III (2001)
In the mission Arms Shortage, corrupt LCPD cop Ray Machowski commissions Claude to go and meet Phil at his shop, since some members of the Colombian Cartel tried to extort weapons out of Phil. Phil and Claude attack the Cartel men as they arrive and kill them, preventing them from stealing Phil's weapons. During this mission, Phil claims to have lost his arm in Nicaragua, but it is revealed later in GTA Vice City that his arm was blown off in a boomshine bomb explosion.
Hunter Platin voiced Phil in this game. In the credits for the game, he is listed as Phil the One-Armed Bandit.
- Redneck arms dealer.
- Believed to be involved in weapons trade.
- Gun enthusiast. Member of various second amendment organizations and various Vice City gun clubs.
- Sources suggest he also distills "boomshine" in own stills.
- Fighting war with Mexican gun-running gangs.
- Linked with "Cam" Jones. Jones and Cassidy believed to have worked together numerous times although Cassidy has avoided convictions.
- Also believed Cassidy claims to have served in various divisions although Army records show he was repeatedly rejected for service because of drunkenness and an unsuitable temperament for combat.
- The player can play as Phil in GTA Vice City by inputting cheats.
- Phil makes the most appearance throughout the series, appearing in four altogether (GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Vice City Stories).
- In GTA Vice City, Phil stats in a phone call following "Gun Runner" that he can only see with one eye because of prolonged intake of Boomshine.
- In Boomshine Saigon, it clearly shows Phil blowing off his right arm, not his left arm. This is likely simply a mistake in the creation of the cut scene, where they had Phil standing with the bomb to his right, rather than standing on the other side of the bench, with the bomb to his left. Successfully delivering Phil to his friend's place shows Phil correctly, missing his left arm and still having his right.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, it was revealed that Phil was beaten by his father for having a sexual attraction to his sister and cousin.
- He seems to have a sort of dislike towards Mexicans, due to him hating the Cholos and sending Tommy to kill M.A.D.
- In Rockstar's Manhunt, one of the cops will sometimes say "I promised my little boy I would take him to Cassidy’s Bargain Firearms Emporium tomorrow", suggesting that Phil also has a business in Carcer City.
Phil during "Arms Shortage", his only appearance in GTA III.
- GTA III
- GTA Vice City
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- GTA Vice City Stories
- Cleaning House
- Conduct Unbecoming
- Cholo Victory (Boss)
- Boomshine Blowout (Boss)
- Truck Stop (Boss)
- Marked Men (Boss)
- Blitzkrieg Strikes Again
- Domo Arigato Domestoboto (post mission pager message)
- Over The Top
- Phil's Army Surplus (GTA III)
- Phil's Place (GTA Vice City)
- Phil Cassidy's Fully Cocked Gun Shop (GTA Liberty City Stories)
- Phil's Depot (GTA Vice City Stories)
- Cassidy’s Bargain Firearms Emporium (Manhunt)