Rear quarter view)|
A Phoenix in GTA Vice City.
GTA Vice City |
GTA San Andreas
GTA Vice City Stories
|Vehicle type||Civilian muscle car|
|Body style||2-door coupe|
|Capacity||2 (driver and 1 passenger)|
The Phoenix is based on the 1979-1981 Pontiac Firebird but the round taillights are similar to 1970-1973 Chevrolet Camaros. It has varied slightly throughout the games, with a rear deck lid blackout panel in GTA San Andreas, and a thinner stripe in GTA Vice City Stories.
Driving and sounding as if powered by a large V8 engine, the Phoenix is one of the fastest cars in GTA Vice City, with excellent torque and handling. Like most muscle cars, it has a two person capacity.
If note is the car's a large airscoop for the carburetor, which is also seen on the Love Fist limousine in GTA Vice City. In GTA Vice City, the butterflies in the hood scoop opens when accelerating; in GTA San Andreas, however, they are stationary, and in GTA Vice City Stories the butterflies are eliminated altogether. It is also noteworthy that the GTA San Andreas version of the Phoenix is the only one with three-dimensional butterflies in the scoop; those in GTA Vice City are 2-dimensional sprites (flat), despite the fact that they moved.
A Phoenix in GTA Vice City (Rear quarter view, without stripes).
A Phoenix in GTA San Andreas, where it is significantly rare (Rear quarter view).
A Phoenix in GTA Vice City Stories (Rear quarter view).
Modifications (GTA San Andreas)
In GTA San Andreas, the Phoenix can be modified at a TransFender, which offers a significantly wide range of parts to the car, although not to the extent as full options offered on certain vehicles.
Italicized pricing denotes prices at the Las Venturas TransFender, which charges 20% more except Colors.
- Its name is misspelled "Pheonix" in GTA Vice City's internal files. This may have been a beta name.
- The Phoenix name clearly alludes to the Pontiac Firebird name by its relation in mythology. The phoenix is a firebird, a mythological bird in multiple folklore.
- Strangely, Pontiac has actually sold a compact car called the Phoenix from 1977 to 1984.
- In GTA San Andreas, the default radio station in the Phoenix is Playback FM.
While common on the streets of GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories, the Phoenix is a significantly rarer car in GTA San Andreas.
- GTA Vice City
- Commonly driven all around Vice Beach.
- In a house behind a gate on the north side of Starfish Island. It is the same house where the only Unique Stunt Jump on Starfish Island is found.
- GTA San Andreas
- In San Fierro, the Phoenix can be found by entering the San Fierro Hills street race located at the checkered flag behind Wang Cars. Park the car in one of the players garages instead of racing it to keep it.
- In A Home In The Hills, Big Poppa will try to escape the player, driving a Phoenix. It is possible to take his car if the player manages to kill Big Poppa without damaging the Phoenix too much. This is difficult though, as Big Poppa will be driving away wildly and the Phoenix is a rather fragile vehicle.
- Can be very rarely found driving in rich residential districts in the three main cities (like Richman in Los Santos, Calton Heights in San Fierro, or Prickle Pine in Las Venturas).
- Can be found in the traffic after activating the cheatcode "Fast Cars".
- Has a chance to be the target vehicle in the first two levels of Vigilante and Firefighter missions.
- Players looking for another easy way to get the Phoenix in GTA San Andreas can edit the internal files of car spawning (data/cargrp.dat) with Notepad. Add the Phoenix (called phoenix internally) in any of the groups, and now it may spawn depending which group the player added it to.
- GTA Vice City Stories
- Two are parked along Ocean Drive: one in Ocean Beach, the other in Washington Beach.
- Parked along the road near the Pole Position Club, Ocean Beach.
- Parked behind Malibu Club in Vice Point.
- In front of a building in the northwestern most part of Vice Point.