Rear quarter view)|
A Phoenix in GTA Vice City.
GTA Vice City |
GTA San Andreas
GTA Vice City Stories
|Vehicle type||Civilian muscle car|
|Body style||2-door coupe|
|Capacity||2 (driver and 1 passenger)|
The Phoenix is based on the 1979-1981 Pontiac Firebird but the round taillights are similar to 1970-1973 Chevrolet Camaros. It has varied slightly throughout the games, with a rear deck lid blackout panel in GTA San Andreas, and a thinner stripe in GTA Vice City Stories.
The Phoenix is one of the fastest cars in the game, and has excellent torque, and handling. The Phoenix drives and sounds as if powered by a large V8 engine, and also features a large airscoop for the carburetor. It can also be modified in TransFender in GTA San Andreas. Like most muscle cars, it has a two person capacity.
A Phoenix in GTA Vice City (Rear quarter view, without stripes).
A Phoenix in GTA San Andreas, where it is significantly rare (Rear quarter view).
A Phoenix in GTA Vice City Stories (Rear quarter view).
While common on the streets of GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories, the Phoenix is a significantly rarer car in GTA San Andreas.
- GTA Vice City
- Commonly driven all around Vice Beach.
- In a house behind a gate on the north side of Starfish Island. It is the same house where the only Unique Stunt Jump on Starfish Island is found.
- GTA San Andreas
- In San Fierro, the Phoenix can be found by entering the San Fierro Hills street race located at the checkered flag behind Wang Cars. Park the car in one of the players garages instead of racing it to keep it.
- In A Home In The Hills, Big Poppa will try to escape the player, driving a Phoenix. It is possible to take his car if the player manages to kill Big Poppa without damaging the Phoenix too much. This is difficult though, as Big Poppa will be driving away wildly and the Phoenix is a rather fragile vehicle.
- Can be very rarely found driving in rich residential districts in the three main cities (like Richman in Los Santos, Calton Heights in San Fierro, or Prickle Pine in Las Venturas).
- Can be found in the traffic after activating the cheatcode "Fast Cars".
- Has a chance to be the target vehicle in the first three levels of Vigilante and Firefighter missions.
- GTA Vice City Stories
- Parked along the road that extends along the beach on Ocean Beach.
- Parked behind Malibu Club in Washington Beach.
- Its name is misspelled "Pheonix" in GTA Vice City's internal files. This may have been a beta name.
- The Phoenix name clearly alludes to the Pontiac Firebird name by its relation in mythology. The phoenix is a firebird, a mythological bird in multiple folklore.
- Strangely, Pontiac has actually sold a compact car called the Phoenix from 1977 to 1984.
- In GTA Vice City, the butterflies in the hood scoop open when accelerating; in GTA San Andreas, however, they are stationary, and in GTA Vice City Stories the butterflies are eliminated altogether. It is also noteworthy that the GTA San Andreas version of the Phoenix is the only one with three-dimensional butterflies in the scoop; those in GTA Vice City are 2 dimensional sprites (flat), despite the fact that they moved.
- In GTA San Andreas, the default radio station in the Phoenix is Playback FM.
- In GTA San Andreas, the two missions which involve the use of the Phoenix have the word "Hills" in it (A Home in the Hills and San Fierro Hills, which is a part of the Race Tournaments). Note that these two missions are the only missions in GTA San Andreas wherein "Hills" is part of the mission name. However, this is most likely pure coincidence.
- Players looking for another easy way to get the Phoenix in GTA San Andreas can edit the internal files of car spawning (data/cargrp.dat) with Notepad. Add the Phoenix (called phoenix internally) in any of the groups, and now it may spawn depending which group the player added it to.