The pistol is the most basic firearm in many GTA games.
The pistol is mainly used at the start of the game, or later when the player has run out of ammunition for better firearms. In its original form in GTA 1 and GTA 2, the pistol is one of the least effective firearms of them all, firing only one bullet every second or so, at a rate slower than a machine gun. From GTA III onwards, the 9mm pistol is given generally poor stopping power, average accuracy, and a fairly short range. In GTA San Andreas the weapon is significantly more effective, partly because it's possible to kill a target in one shot to the head. In Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas this weapon is the standard armament of many gang members and all police officers on patrol.
- In GTA 1 and GTA London, the pistol closely resembles the AMT Automag II by the HUD Image, Although the GTA 1 Icon also resembles a Soviet TT-33 design from WW II
- In GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas, the pistol resembles a Colt M1911 in shape, and its magazine capacity ranges from 12 rounds (in GTA III) to 17 rounds (GTA Vice City onwards). All of this is despite the fact that the Colt M1911 isn't commonly chambered in 9mm and, even if it was, it still possesses a single-stack magazine design, therefore making it impossible to fit 17 rounds into the magazine without redesigning the weapon (or using a custom magazine that extends beyond the grip).
- In the introduction cutscene of GTA San Andreas, where all three members of C.R.A.S.H. arrest Carl Johnson; Jimmy Hernandez and Eddie Pulaski are holding Glock 17s, instead of Colt M1911s like the ones in gameplay. Given the fact that the in-game pistol's magazine capacity (17 rounds) is incorrect for a Colt M1911 but correct for a Glock 17, and the fact that the Glock really is a 9mm pistol, it may be that the developers originally intended the player to use the model seen in the cutscenes, but this feature was left out for some reason. The Glock-17 can be used in-game by switching and swapping the pistol's model/texture with the Glock's one.
- In GTA Liberty City Stories, the pistol resembles the Glock 17, while in GTA Vice City Stories, the pistol resembles a Beretta 92.
In Grand Theft Auto IV, the pistol appears to be a Glock 22, which is the .40 caliber variant of the Glock 17. Despite this, the gun has a magazine capacity of 17, like the 9mm model, and is referred to in passing as a "9mm". The sights on the model are incorrect; the gun's front sight is a duplicate of the twin-post rear sight. Unlike previous GTA games, in which the Pistol is soon usurped by other weapons, the Pistol in GTA IV can be used effectively throughout the entire game. By using cover strategically, being patient, and focusing on headshots, it is possible to complete most missions in GTA IV and its episodes with just a Pistol. It can be fired from cars, and its availability and ammo capacity make it more desirable for drive-bys and chases than the Combat Pistol; the submachine guns, however, are always a better option than pistols if available. In multiplayer, the pistol must deliver 3 or 4 headshots to kill. It is the starting weapon when weapons are set to "all", "pistols", or "weak".
In GTA Chinatown Wars, the pistol's HUD icon suggests it is once again modeled on the the M1911. It reverts back to its function in earlier games as a weak starting weapon.
In many of the games in the series, variants of the entry-level pistol exist. In GTA San Andreas, for instance, the player can acquire the ability to wield two pistols at once, and there is a modified pistol with a sound suppressor. In addition, most of the games in the series have at least one more powerful, larger-caliber equivalent of the pistol, such as the Python or the Desert Eagle.
GTA London 1969 and London 1961.
GTA Liberty City Stories., GTA Vice City Stories
- GTA III
- GTA Vice City
- Vice Point - On the first floor of the main building under construction at Fairground Point (in Avery's Buliding).
- North Point Mall - Available to buy from Ammu-Nation from start of game ($100).
- Ocean Beach - On the patio between Pier 1 and Pier 2 for the parking garage at The Piers.
- Ocean Beach - Available to buy from Ammu-Nation from start of game ($100).
- GTA San Andreas
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- GTA Vice City Stories
- GTA IV
The Glock (referenced as Pistol in-game) can be purchased from the back-alley gun shops for $600, and each additional magazine is $35. The Glock can be purchased from Little Jacob for $420, and each additional magazine costs $25.
- Firefly Island - Can be found to the right of the "Liberty Go-Karts" wall mural to the right of Wappinger Ave.
- Hove Beach - Can be found atop the Perestroika club, on a walkway on the roof.
- Rotterdam Hill - Can be found across the street from Michelle's house in a gated lot, behind some dumpsters.
- East Hook - Can be found on the first-floor ledge of a cylindrical silo-type structure off Mohanet Ave. The player can easily reach it with an SUV/MPV or other tall vehicle like a Cavalcade or Ambulance.
- Willis - Can be found behind and to the left of the parking lot off Freetown Ave. This parking lot is also located to the left of the small parking space where you obtain Stevie's Comet during the mission No. 1.
- Northern Gardens - Can be found in the ladies' powder room of the Triangle Club. Please note: this pistol should be obtained only as a last resort, because otherwise the player shall receive a one star wanted level and the patrons and guards will begin shooting.
- South Bohan - Can be found on the sixth floor of the apartment complex across the street from the South Bohan Safehouse.
- Northwood - Can be found on the edge of the roof of a gutted-out warehouse off of Vespucci Circus.
- Middle Park - Can be found on the lone island in the lake, next to the tree growing there.
- The Meat Quarter - Can be found on the West River side of the driving range of the Golden Pier Golf Club, next to a sand trap.
- GTA Chinatown Wars
- It can be purchased from the Ammunation website for $200, or $100 with the discount acquired.
- Found in various red dumpsters throughout Liberty City.