Revision as of 08:58, 11 May 2010 by Mutas1 (Talk)
The Colt Python is the most accurate pistol and only revolver available in the GTA III Era series of games. It also shares the record for being the most powerful pistol with the Desert Eagle, although the Desert Eagle edges it out, being a .50AE instead of a .357. The Colt Python was first revealed in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and is available to the player on Vice City's main island, Ammu-Nation for $2000, spawnable in Vercetti Estate, and discoverable in several locations. The high cost of the revolver (compared to the M1911's modest $200 price tag) comes with the reward of it being almost guaranteed to kill any target with a single shot. However, the gun cannot be fired while running, and must be fired from a Weaver position (grasping the butt of the gun with the right hand, then cradling the right hand and gun with the cupped left hand, all while planting feet at a wide stance) due to the heavy recoil of the .357 Magnum cartridge. It also has a moderate cylinder capacity of 6 shots, making it excellent against small groups. The Python is also available in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, and the version in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (named Equalizer) features a laser scope and a 6" barrel, although the scope can not be used. The Colt Python is also a weapon in Chinatown Wars, and was named the Revolver. Although it cannot be visibly seen in the game, a HUD image of the weapon can be seen on the touch screen and on the Ammu-Nation website (strangely, it resembles a snub-nosed .38 Smith and Wesson or a Colt Detective Special).
GTA Vice City, and GTA LCS.
GTA Vice City
GTA Liberty City Stories
- At the Francis International Airport on a roof behind a billboard, the roof can be reached by a ramp.
- Spawns at each safehouse after finding 50 hidden packages.
- In the mission The Portland Chainsaw Masquerade, there is a Python spawning right before the staircase that goes down to trigger the mission.
GTA Vice City Stories
GTA Chinatown Wars
- Available for purchase in the Ammunation website after the Fully Cocked upgrade is purchased.
- Available during some vigilante missions.
- Rockstar Games renamed the Colt Python to .357 in later versions of GTA Vice City, possibly to avoid copyright and trademark infringements.
- The Colt Python is called ".357" in GTA Liberty City Stories, and the GTA Vice City Stories refers to the gun as Equalizer.
- It was originally going to be featured in Grand Theft Auto IV, as seen in a beta screenshot.
- In GTA Liberty City Stories, the spent shells are ejected while firing, which is impossible for any revolver.
- Though the weapon itself doesn't appear in GTA San Andreas, the model from GTA Vice City is used for the giant Python at the entrance of the Los Santos Ammu-Nation.