GTA Vice City|
GTA Vice City Stories
|Full Name||Ricardo Diaz|
|Date of Death||1986 (in Rub Out)|
|Home||Diaz' Mansion, Starfish Island, Vice City|
|Voiced by||Luis Guzmán|
Ricardo Diaz is a recurring character in the Grand Theft Auto series appearing in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (set in 1986) and in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (set in 1984). He is the leader of his own gang and, by 1986, is the drug baron of Vice City. Luis Guzmán, who has also starred in such films as ‘‘Out of Sight’’ voices him.
Up to 1984
Ricardo Diaz grew up in Colombia and moved to the United States in 1978, bribing the INS for a green card, before moving to Vice City in the early 1980s. He invests money into a mansion on the expensive Starfish Island and, whilst his home is partially built, meets and befriends Lance and Victor Vance. He has them steal a drugs shipment of Juan Cortez, under the supervision of Gonzalez, which Victor does successfully. Following his success, Diaz decides to employ Victor more work and has him go to a meeting with the DEA, which is ambushed by Gonzalez and his crew, although Victor manages to kill Gonzalez' men and make the deal with the DEA, securing Diaz gets a large supply of heavy duty guns. Diaz becomes aware that Gonzalez has betrayed Colonel Juan Cortez and explains to Gonzalez that he will inform him of all of Cortez' drug deals, with Diaz ordering Victor to drive Gonzalez to the airport.
Lance Vance then borrows money from Diaz and has his brother work to repay the debt, with Diaz having Victor destroy Armando Mendez' bearer bonds using a Domestobot, before having him steal an attack helicopter from the Fort Baxter Air Base in order to attack the Mendez Compound in Downtown, Vice City. Having been successful in stealing the helicopter, Victor attacks the Mendez Compound on Diaz' orders and kills both Diego Mendez and Jerry Martinez. Following this, Victor and Lance decide to leave Vice City.
In between 1984 and 1986, Diaz establishes himself as the drug baron of Vice City and finishes the building of his mansion. His drug habit continues and he has become far more paranoid. Diaz sets up a number of foundations across Vice City and Latin America, although the Vice City Police Department believe them to be a front, whilst they also suspect him of eighteen murders. Diaz has also established a protection racket in the city. Diaz, continuing to use information from Gonzalez, has a drug deal between the Forelli Family and the Vance Crime Family ambushed, stealing both the drugs and money. He later appears at one of Juan Cortez' parties, which was also attended by Forelli representative Tommy Vercetti. Cortez begins to investigate the deal and discovers Gonzalez' involvement and has him killed. Cortez openly suggests that Diaz may have been involved, but does not accuse him.
Cortez does employ Vercetti and Lance Vance, who Diaz does not remember, to protect him in a deal with the Cubans, which results in Diaz hiring the two for other jobs. Diaz first has the two deal with the Sharks, who have been stealing three percent of his profits, first following a gang member to an abandoned home and then attacking the home, killing a number of the gangs members. Later, Diaz has the two steal the fastest boat in the city and then use the boat to purchase drugs from a dealer, before escaping the other potential buyers. Lance eventually decides to avenge his brother’s death and kills Diaz, although his plan backfires. He is rescued by Vercetti and they later assault Diaz' mansion, resulting in the death of Diaz, although it is unknown whether Tommy or Lance fired the bullet.
Concept art on the Rockstar North's website shows that the working name for Ricardo Diaz was "Fernando Diaz". The name Ricardo may be a reference to Ricardo Tubs, a major character from the show Miami Vice. The character Tony Montana, from the 1983 film Scarface, may also be an influence of Ricardo Diaz' character. Diaz' mansion is similar to Montana's, whilst Diaz wears the exact same clothes as Montana during the famous chainsaw torture scene from Scarface.
- GTA Vice City
- The Party
- Guardian Angels
- The Chase (Boss)
- Phnom Penh '86 (Boss)
- The Fastest Boat (Boss)
- Supply & Demand (Boss)
- Rub Out (Killed)
- GTA Vice City Stories
- Steal the Deal (Boss)
- The Exchange (Boss)
- Farewell to Arms
- Domo Arigato Domestoboto (Boss)
- Over The Top (Boss)
- Last Stand (Boss)
- Extremely dangerous.
- Bribed INS for Green card in 1978. Entered country from Colombia.
- Contacts in Colombia believe that he is a major player in narcotics industry and anti-government activity.
- Extremely popular philanthropist. Gives to various Ricardo Diaz foundations across Vice City and Central and South America. All are believed to be a front.
- Extremely short, is believed to suffer from Napoleon complex.
- Medical records show that he has over-active sweat glands and sweats more than is socially acceptable.
- Gun collector. Always armed.
- Has private army / militia and is heavily guarded at all times.
- Has been involved in long running battle for control of narcotics business in Vice City.
- Known to have bribed police and officials within the town.
- Feared due to reputation of unpredictable behavior.
- Thought to be responsible for 18 murders.
- The player can play as Diaz in GTA Vice City by inputting cheats.
- Ricardo Diaz is one of only seven characters to appear in both GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories along with Victor and Lance Vance, Umberto and Alberto Robina, Phil Cassidy and Gonzalez.
- Ricardo Diaz is fan of El Burro's pornography.
- The concept artwork of Ricardo Diaz appears on the front cover of the 1986 edition of Crime magazine in GTA Vice City.
- Ricardo Diaz is the only named character in the GTA series that succesfully managed to kill a protagnist (Vic Vance).