|This page needs to be cleaned up to meet the standards of Grand Theft Wiki.|
Error creating thumbnail: File missing
|Game||The Lost and Damned|
|Unlocked by||Bad Standing|
The mission begins when Ashley phones Johnny and says she is in trouble. Johnny makes his way to her house, when he arrives two of Dimitri Rascalov's men are there. They say that Ashley is in debt to Dimitri and he has not been payed. They tell Johnny that he has to kidnap Roman Bellic or they'll kill Ashley. Johnny goes out to kidnap Roman with the help of Malc. After this mission, Mallorie will discover Roman's kidnapped and call Niko and trigger Hostile Negotiation in Grand Theft Auto IV.
After the cutscene, Johnny will call Malc as opposed to requesting help from his club friends. After the call, drive or take a cab to Malc's location in Northwood. Get into his car. At this point you must drive to the "hardware store" where Roman gambles; en route, Johnny and Malc argue about women. Upon arrival, you are instructed to watch for Roman; don't worry if you don't know what he looks like (i.e. you haven't played Grand Theft Auto IV) as a cutscene automatically starts when he shows up, showing Johnny and Malc putting Roman in the back of the car.
Now you need to drive to the warehouse in Bohan and drop Roman off. If you completely stop the car for any reason, such as hitting an object that won't give (like those wooden telephone poles), or stopping to pay the bridge toll, Roman will pop out of the backseat and attempt to run off. Fortunately he runs very slow and falls a lot. Target his head with a weapon to scare him back into the car. Be very careful not to accidentally fire on him. Be prepared to deal with a wanted level if you pull a weapon in view of the cops.
The game provides a much easier solution to the mission, if the player has paid attention to the text messages Johnny receives. At some point in the game, Johnny should receive a text recommending Roman's taxi service and providing a phone number. Once Johnny meets up with Malc, there is no need to drive over to Broker and grab Roman. Simply dial the number of Roman's Taxi Firm (555-2222) and he will come to Johnny and Malc in his car. This makes the drive over to the warehouse easier as it is less likely that Roman will escape from the car, especially if you call the number from near it in Bohan or from Malc's meet-up location north Algonquin, as the toll booth trap does not apply.
A consequence of doing this shorter version is Johnny and Malc do not engage in their conversation about women (unless the player chooses to drive around before summoning Roman - such as getting closer to the drop-off point in Bohan), and there may be less dialogue exchanged with Roman in the car depending on the distance to the drop-off point.
- A common place for this mission to go pear-shaped (at least for those not following walkthroughs like this) is at the Dukes Bay Bridge toll plaza. The player will likely automatically stop to pay the toll, allowing Roman to get out. The problem is the traffic is scripted to box Johnny in, making it difficult to turn around and get after Roman (especially if Johnny enters the toll booth in front of the bus). Running through the booth and dealing with the single-star wanted level is an easier alternative. If you want to play through the mission including chasing down Roman, stop the car at some point before arriving at the toll booth.
- In the PS3 version, the mission isn't triggered until after completion of Shifting Weight.
- Most will recognize this mission because it explains how Roman was kidnapped in Grand Theft Auto IV. He was later rescued by his cousin from the same warehouse.
- The traffic encountered after picking up Roman at the gambling den and following the GPS route is scripted and is one of the few occasions the green buses are seen driving around (they are most usually found parked). Two buses are encountered in Broker - one that nearly broadsides Johnny east of the Algonquin Bridge, and another found turning into the toll plaza at the south end of the Dukes Bay Bridge.
- Roman soils himself during this mission, and also states this at the end of Hostile Negotiation.
- The name of the mission may be a play on the 1957 film Roman Holiday.
- When Johnny asks the Russians to go easy on Roman, he says " I've seen some of the bodies you guys drop in the Humboldt." This could be reference to what happened to Vladimir Glebov.
- If you call Roman by the number, he will question why Johnny is asking where he is. Johnny will say that two girls want a great ride in a limo, so Roman will accept and arrive in his taxi. He will shout out all possible great places, such as Middle Park, Star Junction and maybe himself. When Johnny and Malc go to him, the kidnapping starts.
- Its possible to kill Malc and steal Roman's Taxi after the mission, but it's really hard to steal this. The best way is to phone and wait for Roman, then after cutscene of kidnapping, shoot Malc and take car to the closest parking area (Playboy X's loft).
- Ironically, Johnny does not know that Roman's cousin is Niko Bellic, a man previously he worked with during a mission for Elizabeta Torres, although he did mention working with an Eastern European and wondered if Roman would be like him, or asks why so many europeans wear tracksuits.
- At the beginning of the mission, in Ashley's apartment, there is a portrait of Ashley and Johnny together. If observed closely, it will look as though Johnny's hair was bigger before the events of TLAD.
- After you rescue Roman in Hostile Negotiation, he may text Niko saying that a "biker" kidnapped him, which would/could be considered a hint that Johnny kidnapped him.
- When matching up the Grand Theft Auto IV and The Lost and Damned storylines, Roman should have changed his Esperantos to Calvacades.