The Romero is a four-door car that first appeared in Grand Theft Auto 2, based on the 1955 Alfa Romeo BAT 9 concept car. The name was then applied to a hearse in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto IV.
It is a fast car, and can fit two people inside. In GTA Vice City, the car is named Romero's Hearse and is only available in the mission Two Bit Hit but can be spawned through cheats. It is regularly parked near hospitals and morgues in GTA San Andreas and GTA Liberty City Stories under the name Hearse. The Romero name was probably reused for hearses as a reference to George A. Romero, the director of the Dawn of the Dead series of zombie movies, amongst others. In Vice City, it resembles an '80s Buick Superior Hearse. In GTA San Andreas, it resembles a late '70s Cadillac hearse. One of Carl Johnson's possible girlfriends, Katie Zhan, owns a white Romero, giving Carl the keys to it after getting to 50% from dating her. In GTA Liberty City Stories, it is the hearse version of the game's redesigned Perennial. It also featured in two missions in GTA Liberty City Stories, namely The Morgue Party Candidate and Morgue Party Resurrection, both for Donald Love.
The Romero has been re-designed for GTA IV, with the game's Washington sedan serving as its basis. The Romero is featured in the mission "Undertaker", where Niko Bellic must drive to the funeral with Derrick McReary's/Francis McReary's coffin inside from the pursuing Albanian goons. After the completion of the mission, it can be seen at the church in Algonquin or a cemetery in Algonquin.(?) However, the player must steal it before it drives away. Being based on the Washington (an Albany car), the Romero also bears the Albany brand. In comparison to the Washington, however, the Romero's handling is moderate but it's acceleration and top speed are poor due to the added weight of the wagon body.
GTA Vice City
- Only spawns during the mission Two Bit Hit.
- Via cheat (PC): THELASTRIDE.
GTA San Andreas
- The church in Vinewood, Los Santos.
- In the driveway of Drive-Thru Confessions Church, Palomino Creek, Red County.
- Outside Katie Zhan's home in Juniper Hollow, San Fierro.
- Near Fort Carson Medical Center, Fort Carson, Bone County
- Two are located in Blackfield Chapel, Las Venturas.
GTA Liberty City Stories
Car modifications (GTA San Andreas)
- Color (two areas)
- Wheels (ten types)
- Nitro (All)
- Bass Boost
- GTA2 Romero.png
The Romero as it debuted in GTA2.
- Romero's Hearse (GTAVC) (rear).jpg
GTA Vice City rendition; rear quarter view.
- Romero 1.jpg
GTA San Andreas rendition.
- Romero (GTA4) (front).jpg
GTA IV rendition (during "Undertaker").
- Romero (GTA4) (rear).jpg
GTA IV rendition; rear quarter view.
- This vehicle can be sold to Stevie.
- Many people say the Romero can only be obtained once, however, if the player steals it during the mission "Undertaker" and takes the vehicle around Westdyke many Romero's can be seen.