The SWAT Team (Special Weapons and Tactics) is a law-enforcement agency, divisions of the games' respective police departments, in the Grand Theft Auto series that first appeared in Grand Theft Auto 2, and was carried over to every game up to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. In all games they are the second ones to appear once the player has reached a four-star wanted level.
SWAT officers in GTA III wear a WWII style helmet with black sunglasses and turquoise coloured clothing. Their vests are blue and the helmets have "POLICE" printed on the front. SWAT Team members in GTA:III wield Micro-Uzis.
SWAT officers in GTA: Vice City wear dark blue clothing with a tactical vest and kneepads. They also have a blue helmet and a mask covering their face. SWAT Team members in GTA: Vice City wield the Uzi 9mm.
SWAT officers in GTA: San Andreas have a very dark blue (Almost black) appearance and wear a helmet with goggles, a mask and a tactical vest with "POLICE" printed on the front and back. GTA: San Andreas SWAT Officers also have kneepads and a holster containing a Glock pistol (Though the Glock is never used in the game and is only seen in cutscenes).
Once the player is chased by them they will chase the player in their vans. They will also deploy spike strips to slow the player down. They will be deployed out of the helicopters by means of grappling, but only four at a time. Only in GTA LCS, and GTA VCS will they attack the player while stationed in a roadblock. They are also well armored. Their vans are heavy, and are just a little slower than the Police Car.
- SWAT Teams always seem to aim for the player's tyres and blow them out, making it extremely difficult to escape.
- In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas there are several missions where SWAT team members use SMGs instead of Micro Uzis. However, the actual SWAT members that pursue players when they have wanted levels use Micro Uzis and the SMG was saved for the FBI.
- Despite wearing helmets, SWAT Officers will die instantly if the player shoots them in the head.
- The dialogue in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas suggests that the SWAT Officers are quite unprofessional. This is reinforced when the officers make quotes such as "Ouch, rope burning my hands", when they are roping from a chopper.
- Despite being an elite unit, SWAT Officers in GTA: San Andreas hold their weapons sideways when firing, similar to that of the gang members in the game.
- SWAT Team (GTA3).jpg
A SWAT Team, GTA III.
An LCPD Enforcer, GTA III.
- SWAT Team (GTAVC) (beta).png
Pre-release screenshot of the SWAT Team, GTA Vice City.
- SWAT Team-GTAVC.jpg
A SWAT officer, GTA Vice City.
A SWAT officer, GTA San Andreas.
A "S.W.A.T." tank in GTA San Andreas.
- SWAT (GTALCS).jpg
SWAT Team in GTA Liberty City Stories, fighting alongside the LCPD.
- Vice City SWAT.jpg
SWAT members in GTA Vice City Stories.