Rear quarter view)|
A Sentinel in GTA III.
GTA III |
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA Vice City Stories
|Also known as||Beamer (During GTA III development)|
|Vehicle type||Civilian car|
|Body style||2/4-door sedan|
4 (GTA III — GTA:VCS)|
2 (GTA IV — GTA V)
|Manufacturer||Übermacht (GTA IV — GTA V)|
The Sentinel is a luxury sedan introduced in Grand Theft Auto III. Originally appearing as a four-door car, the Sentinel assumes the design of a sporty two-door coupe from Grand Theft Auto IV onwards.
- 1 Description
- 2 Customization in GTA San Andreas
- 3 Variants
- 4 Prominent appearances in missions
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Locations
- 7 See also
GTA III — GTA Vice City Stories
The Sentinel resembles a 1996-2003 BMW 5 Series sedan (most likely a 528i, based on the power and size) in GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories. In GTA Vice City it resembles a lengthened BMW 7 Series E23, and in GTA Vice City Stories it looks more like a E24 BMW 6-series because of the forward-tilted headlights and grill. In GTA San Andreas, it resembles a BMW 7 Series E32. However, several significant cosmetic changes may be noted between the latter three games, particularly with regards to the frontal and rear fascias; even the GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories renditions are significantly different from each other, as the GTA Vice City Stories Sentinel appears less like its high performance counterpart, the Sentinel XS, which had not received the same degree of changes.
The GTA Advance rendition does not appear to have a clear source of inspiration for its design, but retains its slender 4-door sedan. While the car isn't generally associated with any gang, the GTA Advance rendition is an exception, serving a gang car for an unspecified mafia in the game, taking over the role of the Mafia Sentinel, the mafia variant of the Sentinel.
At one point of GTA III's development, the Sentinel was named the "Beamer". A car of this name was previously featured in Grand Theft Auto 2, and was also based on a BMW. Meanwhile, a "Sentinal" was also in the process of development, appearing as a modern, rounded car that would go on to become the Kuruma. Both prerelease cars can be found in the Capital Autos website.
GTA III (Rear quarter view).
GTA Vice City (Rear quarter view).
GTA San Andreas (Rear quarter view).
GTA Liberty City Stories (Rear quarter view).
GTA Vice City Stories (Rear quarter view).
With a V6 engine in all its appearances between GTA III and GTA Vice City Stories, the Sentinel has a good top speed and acceleration. The car handles well, although it suffers from body roll in GTA Liberty City Stories. It comes with good drifting properties, although its rear-drive layout sometimes leads to oversteer and tailspins; these problems are more apparent in the GTA San Andreas rendition, due to its different weight distribution and softer suspension. In GTA San Andreas, the Sentinel's top speed of 163km/h makes it the second fastest four-door car in the game.
The Sentinel in GTA IV is manufactured by Übermacht and is modeled after the BMW 3 Series E46 coupe, most likely the 2001-2006 M3, considering the bumper design. The tail lights seem to be inspired by the older E36 3 Series.
Also visible are minuscule STD badges in front of the doors, near the sideskirts and front wheel wells. STD stands for "Sentinel Tuning Division", likely a play on Subaru's STi marque (odd because this vehicle, or the #Sentinel "XS", does not at all resemble a Subaru) and BMW's in-house tuning division, BMW M, but also a reference to the acronym for "sexually transmitted disease".
Being a modern sports coupe, the GTA IV Sentinel reaches a superb top speed of 192mph - not far from the fastest vehicles in the game. It has above-average acceleration, reaching 60mph in 6.5 seconds, and reaching its top speed fairly quickly as well. The Sentinel's suspension is rather soft, and it tends to roll when going around tight bends at high speed; the rear of the car also tends to bounce about when traveling on uneven roads. Its handling is above average, but at high speeds it loses a lot of grip and easily spins out of control due to the lack of weight in the rear. But if controlled right, its speed and grip can be combined to produce almost-professional like drifts that can be used to slide into sharp turns and back alleyways to evade the police without difficulty. Nonetheless, it is arguably the best choice in the Modern category in multiplayer racing.
Crash deformation at higher speeds is high (quarter panels of the car may look to be "glitched" into the wheel wells if hit hard enough), and it isn't hard with this car to make the wheels jam in crashes, but the car can withstand a surprising amount of frontal impacts without failing.
The Sentinel (still manufactured by Übermacht) is redesigned for GTA V to resemble a 2005 BMW 3-Series E93 and feature a covertible design. While the car was first featured in the first trailer for the game, the car's name was not revealed until its rear badges were featured in the second trailer.
Customization in GTA San Andreas
The Sentinel in GTA San Andreas can be modified at a TransFender, which offers a fairly modest range of customizations for the car:
Italicized pricing denotes prices at the Las Venturas TransFender, which charges 20% more except Colors.
To date, there are two distinct vehicles based on the Sentinel:
- The Mafia Sentinel is a gang variant of the Sentinel from GTA III, also known as the Leone Sentinel in GTA Liberty City Stories.
- The Sentinel XS, a sportier variant of the Sentinel, which comparable to the Mafia Sentinel as it also shares the same set of modifications.
GTA IV features an updated Sentinel "XS", which is however no longer considered a distinct vehicle — the game refers to the car simply as "Sentinel" when entered.
Like preceding Sentinel XS', the car sports several noticeable modifications, and exists seemingly as a nod to the Mafia Sentinel from GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories — serving as one of two cars (the other being the PMP 600) that are usually driven by members of the local Mafia.
Its visual differences include its "XS" badging, a hood-mounted air scoop and air vents, enlarged twin mufflers, and a rear spoiler sporting "STD" decals, emulating the BMW M3 CSL. The Sentinel handles with more rigidly as its suspension has been hardened, allowing the car to corner sharper and drift more easily compared to a regular Sentinel.
Prominent appearances in missions
In the mission "Bait", Catalina has sent three Colombian Cartel death squads to kill Claude. The death squads consist of three Sentinels with four men each; the Sentinel was picked as these are the fastest and best-handling four-door vehicle (excluding emergency vehicles). Claude is directed to lead the Colombians into a Yakuza ambush organized by Asuka.
GTA Vice City
In GTA Vice City, a unique black Sentinel is the target's getaway vehicle in the mission "Hit The Courier". The player can obtain the car by diligently killing the driver of the car as soon as she enters it, but must not exit the car and close its door until they enter a garage or complete the mission, as the car will lock itself again.
GTA San Andreas
In GTA San Andreas, Sentinels are used by the Seville Boulevard Families during the mission Sweet's Girl. Sentinels are also used as cover in the mission The Green Sabre, when the GSF members, CJ and Sweet must resist the onslaught of the Ballas under the Mulholland Intersection. It is also driven in the mission "Mountain Cloud Boys", to aid Wu Zi Mu in a series of drive-by shootings against enemy gang members. Kent Paul is seen driving a dark blue Sentinel to the airport in the GTA San Andreas mission Saint Mark's Bistro; a unique grey Sentinel can also be seen in the court yard of Marco's Bistro during this mission.
GTA Liberty City Stories
The Sentinel is prominently featured multiple times in GTA Liberty City Stories, all of which are depicted with a dark gray/black body color:
- A black Sentinel is featured during a cutscene in "The Guns of Leone", during which Salvatore Leone charges into the Red Light District to exert revenge on the Sindaccos, running over an unsuspecting Sindacco member on the way. The car is unobtainable as the car turns into a Mafia Sentinel after the cutscene ends.
- Four black Sentinels are prominently driven by hitmen hired by Ma Cipriani in "No Son of Mine"; as soon as the hitmen exit one such Sentinel, the player can easily attain the car. The cars are programmed to be heavy, which allows the player to push aside other cars without affecting the Sentinel's performance or trajectory. After the mission, more hitmen in black Sentinels will attempt to confront the player in random intervals until the completion of "Making Toni".
- The same form of Sentinels mention above can also be found during "A Walk in the Park", when Roger C. Hole and his body guards arrive at Belleville Park in three such cars parked in a row. Once the player manages to kill R.C. Hole and the body guards before they reach their cars, the player can take any of the cars to their garage; otherwise, if R.C. Hole manages to flee to the second car, the car's weight is reset to normal while the first and third cars retain their heavy weight. The Sentinels also received increased health for the mission.
- The last appearance of the black Sentinel is during "Making Toni", when it serves as the player's mode of transport for the mission and is fireproof. The car can be obtained by partially submerging the car in a shallow shoreline, failing the mission; otherwise, the car is driven away by Mickey Hamfists in the end of the mission.
In GTA IV, a Sentinel is requested as part of Stevie's Car Thefts, appearing with a uniquely candy blue and black body color, similar to that of the "XS" Sentinel. As a new Sentinel will respawn at the same spot until the player delivers one to S&M Auto Sales, the player can save one at their safehouse before delivering another.
The unique black Sentinel from "Hit The Courier", GTA Vice City.
A uniquely black Sentinel in GTA Liberty City Stories; this car was obtained during an attack by Ma Cipriani's hitmen.
The Sentinel requested in Stevie's Car Thefts in GTA IV.
- "Sentinel" refers to a sentry or guard, or the act of guarding.
- A Sentinel in GTA IV can be sold to S&M Auto Sales for $2,500 if delivered in perfect condition, after collecting all thirty cars for Stevie.
- The Sentinel plays the following radio stations by default when entered:
Sentinels are generally found throughout the business districts of all the cities; some can be seen driving in the suburbs and wealthy parts of town as well.
- GTA III
- Parked outside Marco's Bistro in Saint Mark's, Portland.
- In the Staunton Island LCPD HQ parking lot.
- Parked outside Kenji's Casino in Torrington, Staunton Island
- In the parking lot of Francis International Airport, Shoreside Vale.
- GTA Vice City
- Can always be found at Sunshine Autos, whether the player owns the business or not.
- GTA San Andreas
- Can be found behind Roboi's Food Mart store
- Inside one of the Vinewood Studios. (Only when wanted for export)
- It is common around the Prickle Pine area, Las Venturas.
- Very common in business areas such as Financial or Old Venturas Strip.
- Can be found driving around Easter Bay Airport.
- Can be imported once the player has exported it.
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Harwood, Portland; spawns inside the Capital Autos showroom after completing three levels of Car Salesman.
- Big Shot Casino parking lot, Torrington, Staunton Island.
- Francis International Airport parking lot, Shoreside Vale.
- GTA Vice City Stories
- Several Sentinels can be found at the Washington Beach car park.
- GTA IV
- Regular Sentinel
- Spawns around The Exchange, Middle Park, The Triangle and Little Italy in Algonquin.
- Spawn around Westdyke, Alderney.
- Spawn around Hove Beach, Outlook, and Downtown in Broker.
- Spawns in the parking lot next to the control tower at Francis International Airport in Dukes.
- Found behind the Laundromat in Hove Beach, Broker, after the mission Hung Out to Dry for Vladimir Glebov. It can be found here after the mission is completed.
- Sentinel "XS"
- The Sentinel XS will appear in all the places where the standard Sentinel does, but is significantly rarer.
- Appears more commonly if the player is driving a Sultan RS.
- As it serves as a gang car for the Mafia, the Sentinel XS will often appear in Little Italy, Chinatown and Westdyke.
- Seen driven by Ancelotti Members in She's a Keeper; however, you must stay in your Car to avoid mission failure.
- Oracle, GTA IV's continuation of the Sentinel's previous four-door BMW luxury sedan style.