The Slamvan is a vehicle available to the player in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and is also featured in the downloadable episodic pack The Lost and Damned for Grand Theft Auto IV. The Slamvan also appears in The Ballad of Gay Tony during "Frosting on the Cake", where it is unobtainable.
GTA San Andreas
In GTA San Andreas the Slamvan resembles a heavily customized 1967-1972 GMC C/K, in fact, it appears to be based on Jim Bayne's customized 1968 GMC truck. The truck may also appear with a custom chain steering wheel.
Naturally, the Slamvan only has room for two people, but handles well and can reach extremely high speeds - especially with nitrous equipped; it also raises the player's sex appeal to over 60%. Being a lowrider, it can only be modified in Loco Low Co. in Willowfield, Los Santos, but can be used to enter the Lowrider Challenge at Unity Station, Los Santos if it has hydraulics installed. Like other lowriders in the game, certain traffic-spawned Slamvan's may also come readily equipped with hydraulics.
It is also one of the most common lowriders as it is seen frequently in the higher wealth districts of Las Venturas but it does spawn rarely in San Fierro and Los Santos.
A Slamvan in GTA San Andreas (Rear quarter view).
Combinations of modifications that can be given to Slamvans from Loco Low Co. in GTA San Andreas.
Modifications (GTA San Andreas)
The Lost and Damned
In The Lost and Damned, the Vapid Slamvan is a different vehicle; it no longer resembles a heavily customized pick-up as it did in GTA San Andreas. It now resembles a Rat Rodded 1950's panel van with some mild custom features, based on a 1953–1956 Ford F-Series van, but awkwardly appears to have the windshield and door tops from a 1980s Ford F-Series; in comparison, the Towtruck looks to be a Heavy Duty truck variant of the same make. The van comes in only four color schemes, one of which is a two-tone gray body color, and another encompasses a black body with red outer rims. The Slamvan also bears The Lost MC's insignias. Slamvan lacks any model and brand badges, but police radio will refer the van as "Vapid Slamvan".
The Slamvan's performance is below average, being attributed largely by its poor acceleration, although the van can achieve average speeds. The van's rear wheel torque also makes the van prone to burnouts, but is capable of relatively good cornering and braking, presumably because of its lighter weight.
- The Slamvan plays the following radio stations by default when entered:
- The TBoGT Slamvan has a different horn from its TLaD counterpart. In addition, the Slamvan in TBoGT backfires through its exhaust pipes, while the TLaD rendition doesn't.
- Inside the Audio data for the TBOGT and TLAD Slamvan, inside the EP1 or EP2 audio file for the Slamvan's engine noise, the sounds are named EP1_PICKUP, possibly meaning in the beta, the Slamvan was going to be similar to what it looked like in GTA San Andreas. This is further supported by the fact that the police radio refers to it as a pickup and not a van, meaning that Rockstar forgot to change the radio chatter when it was changed from a pickup to a van.
- GTA San Andreas
- The Slamvan may spawn in traffic under the following conditions:
- While riding a BF-400 in Temple, Vinewood, Market, or Market Station, LS (Tue).
- While riding a PCJ-600 in Rodeo, Los Santos (Wed).
- While riding a HPV-1000 in Market, Los Santos, usually by Jim's Sticky Ring.
- While driving a Bullet in Queens, San Fierro (Monday).
- While driving a Savanna on The Strip, Las Venturas (Tuesday), or the Euros in the same location (Saturday).
- While driving a ZR-350 or Stratum in San Fierro (Saturday or Sunday).
- While driving a Blade in Prickle Pine (Wed); other possible days/vehicles there.
- Sometimes seen driven in Paradiso, San Fierro, and Rodeo/Downtown Los Santos.
- Parked in an alley near the El Corona safehouse, Los Santos. It is alarmed 50% of the time and locked 10% of the time. It is only seen parked when wanted for export.
- Parked at the rear entrance of the sex shop in El Corona, Los Santos (only when wanted for export).
- Importable from Easter Basin (San Fierro) after completing export lists. Import cost: $15,200 (only available on Sunday).
- The Lost and Damned
- Used in the mission "Heavy Toll".
- Sometimes in a gang war, the Angels of Death will cruise around in one. Kill all the Angels of Death members and the Slamvan is yours for the taking. Try not to tear it up during the gang war though. These often have unique paintjobs such as blue/white and black/orange that you can't find on other Slamvans.
- If you call Terry for weapons, he always comes in a Slamvan, it is locked but there is a way to steal it - kill Terry and use a large vehicle like the Fire Truck and push it to a parking space; make sure Terry's corpse is out of the van or it will not save, the Fire Truck's water cannon may be able to get it out.
- Can be spawned via cheat code (826-555-0100).
- The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Slamvans are seen in the mission "Frosting on the Cake", and one can be obtained through use of a glitch.