A Sniper Rifle has been featured in every Grand Theft Auto game since Grand Theft Auto III with the exception of Grand Theft Auto Advance. It is often required in missions to shoot enemy gang members at a distance, especially when the goal is to protect an ally from far away. It is used as stealth kills, but firing a sniper rifle may cause increase of a likelihood of police attention and pedestrians panicking, so stealth kills should only be performed in secluded areas where there are no witnesses or cops around. The rifle's telescope is a valuable reconnaissance tool and many players have fun using its zoom feature on characters or objects.
Like in many computer games, its bullets fly straight to the targeted point (a 'hitscan' weapon) - real life variables like distance, wind, or target movement don't affect the bullet.
In Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto IV, the sniper rifle is based off the Remington 700. In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, however, it's based on a Springfield M21 in order to fit the game's setting, 1984.
The sniper rifle's scope is easier to use, but the Laser Sniper is more accurate, yet harder to actually aim due to lack of a crosshair.
- Jefferson, Los Santos - On the roof of the County General Hospital
- Vinewood, Los Santos - On a deck with a ramp leading to it, inside the InterGlobal Television studios
- Mulholland, Los Santos - On a balcony of a house, near a body armor pickup
- In small house on top of hill between The Farm and Foster Valley
- Downtown, San Fierro - Atop a building beside Otto's Autos
- Doherty, San Fierro - In the exterior of the Doherty Garage after photographing all 50 Snapshots
- Julius Thruway North, Las Venturas - On the roof of a little chapel near the Las Venturas Police Headquarters
- The Clown's Pocket, Las Venturas - Somewhere on the Clown's Pocket Casino roof
- The Four Dragons Casino, Las Venturas - On the lower roof of the casino
The Sniper Rifle can be purchased from the back-alley gun shops for $6,000 and each additional magazine will cost $800.
- East Hook - Can be found on a gantry crane at the docks where the Platypus is berthed, which is located on Mohanet Ave. Specifically, the gantry crane closest to the bow on the starboard side of the ship.
- Steinway - Can be found atop a ferry terminal-type structure in Gantry Park, located off Dukes Drive. From the leftmost portion of the docks, the rifle is located atop the second structure.
- Northwood - Can be found atop a crude oil refining tower at the intersection of Exeter Ave and Grummer Rd, near the water's edge.