The Sniper Rifle in Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.
A Sniper Rifle has been featured in every Grand Theft Auto game since Grand Theft Auto III with the exception of Grand Theft Auto Advance. It is often required in missions to shoot enemy gang members at a distance, especially when the goal is to protect an ally from far away. At long range, the sniper rifle usually provides a stealth kill, however it is not silenced, and should be fired far away from pedestrians and police. The rifle's magnifying scope is a valuable reconnaissance tool, and is also useful for viewing small game details like magazine covers and in-car objects.
Like in many computer games, the rifle's bullets fly straight to the targeted point (it is a 'hitscan' weapon) - real life variables like distance, wind, or target movement don't affect the bullet.
In Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto IV, the sniper rifle is based on the Remington 700. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories is the lone exception; its sniper rifle is based on a Springfield M21, reflecting the game's setting of 1984, but it functions incorrectly as a bolt-action rifle.
The GTA IV Sniper Rifle is said to be twice as powerful as the Combat Sniper rifle; it is, however, a bolt action rifle, and thus can't fire nearly as fast. It provides a one-headshot kill in single player and multiplayer, unless the target is heavily armored.
The sniper rifle only appears in certain missions of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, where the player has to assemble the rifle using the touch screen. The whole top screen is then used to display the scoped view.
- Jefferson, Los Santos - On the roof of the County General Hospital
- Vinewood, Los Santos - On a deck with a ramp leading to it, inside a studio
- Mulholland, Los Santos - On a balcony of a house, near a body armor pickup
- In small house on top of hill between The Farm and Foster Valley
- Downtown, San Fierro - Atop a building beside Otto's Autos
- Doherty, San Fierro - In the exterior of the Doherty Garage after photographing all 50 Snapshots
- Julius Thruway North, Las Venturas - On the roof of a little chapel near the Las Venturas Police Headquarters
- The Clown's Pocket, Las Venturas - Somewhere on the Clown's Pocket Casino roof
- The Four Dragons Casino, Las Venturas - On the lower roof of the casino
The Sniper Rifle can be purchased from the back-alley gun shops for $6,000 and each additional magazine will cost $800. You cannot purchase the weapon from Little Jacob; however, you can purchase the Combat Sniper from him for less than the standard sniper rifle.
- East Hook - Can be found on a gantry crane at the docks where the Platypus is berthed, which is located on Mohanet Ave. Specifically, the gantry crane closest to the bow on the starboard side of the ship.
- Steinway - Can be found atop a ferry terminal-type structure in Gantry Park, located off Dukes Drive. From the leftmost portion of the docks, the rifle is located atop the second structure.
- Northwood - Can be found atop a crude oil refining tower at the intersection of Exeter Ave and Grummer Rd, near the water's edge.
- The Sniper Rifle in GTA San Andreas has three weapon skills defined in the game's files, however only one is used in the game. The unused skill levels can be attained with cheats.
- Shooting at the moon in every Grand Theft Auto game with the Sniper Rifle will make it bigger and smaller.
- In Grand Theft Auto IV you receive a Sniper Rifle during certain missions such as Luck of the Irish and Lure.
GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, and GTA LCS.