Division of the Korean peninsula
South Korea gained its independence from the Empire of Japan on August 15, 1945 with the Korean peninsula split in two (with the North allied to the Soviet Union and the south to the western allies).The Korean constitution went into effect from July 17, 1948 and the republic was declared on August 15, 1948. South Korea was later invaded by the North on June 25, 1950 with a ceasefire agreement ending the armed conflict on July 27, 1953. An Armistice Agreement was signed by both sides to end the conflict although in 2013 the North stated that they had invalidated the agreement and had entered a "state of war" against South Korea.
Grand Theft Auto games
Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City were both banned by the Korea Media Rating Board but are now available to buy after the Game Rating Board (GRB), which took over rating video games in 2006, removed the ban. The GRB give Grand Theft Auto games an 18 rating.
- Chung-Hee (may be from North Korea)
- Hyun-Su (may be from North Korea)
- Jung-Su (may be from North Korea)
- Korean Manager (may be from North Korea)
- Kwan (may be from North Korea)
- Midtown Gangsters (may be from North Korea, has a North Korean leader)
- Wonsu Nodong (may be from North Korea)
References to South Korea
- The Little Seoul neighbourhood of Los Santos in Grand Theft Auto V is a reference to South Korea's capital city Seoul.
- A number of businesses located in Little Seoul, including American businesses, have their signage written in Korean.